Posted to dev@toree.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2016/01/28 18:12:06 UTC

ZeroMQ MPL Licensing plans?

I'm not certain where to best ask this question.  Please let me know
if it would be better addressed elsewhere.

At the Apache Software Foundation we have an incubating project (named
Toree[1]) that has a dependency on Zeromq.  LGPL is problematic for
us[2], probably for the same reasons that you are considering moving
to MPL[3].

What is the status and plans of your move to MPLv2?

- Sam Ruby

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ToriiProposal
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
[3] http://zeromq.org/area:licensing

Re: ZeroMQ MPL Licensing plans?

Posted by Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com>.
@Sam Our need for ZeroMQ is due to Jupyter. Jupyter relies on ZeroMQ for
communication between the Client and Server. In Toree's case, one of it's
roles is as the Server to a Jupyter Notebook. We don't want to loose this
usecase.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com> wrote:
>> And "installing into Jupyter" requires ZeroMQ?  There are no alternatives?
>
> There are no good alternatives. That is the protocol used natively by the
> Notebook. Picking anything else would mean requiring extending Jupyter and
> I would consider that last resort.

So it is possible.

>> Again, no alternatives?
>
> We've been treating the ZeroMQ protocol as the only way to communicate with
> the kernel from another process. There has been experiments were we embed
> part of Toree in other code, but that is more an example of using Toree as
> a library rather than a running process.
>
> Sam... please take a look at this clause (
> https://github.com/zeromq/jeromq/blob/master/COPYING.LESSER#L169) on the
> library that we are using that is LGPL.

That has been looked at by the Legal Affairs Committee:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

More background:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201507.mbox/%3C9B052E9F-E7A1-4B00-A5BF-86333BC477EF%40jaguNET.com%3E

http://zeromq.org/area:licensing#toc2

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Jan 30, 2016, at 3:32 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>

> Thankfully, it is not for me to evaluate any more.  :-).  But my read
> is that Jim wouldn't want the ASF to accept this uncertainty.

That's right.

Again, one of the criteria behind our "take" on license compatibility,
other than the strictly legal PoV, is that, from *our* stance, we want
usage, redistribution and consuming of code *from* the ASF to be
as brain-dead easy and non-controversial as possible. In other words,
we don't want people to have to question, "Hmmm, can I use this" when
considering ASF projects, and we esp. don't want them to have to get
legal involved as well to worry and consider if their usage is OK and
compliant.

As such, I really don't see how 0mq can be used licensed as it is.

Re: ZeroMQ MPL Licensing plans?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Ralph Goers
<ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Why not?  As I read that license page the exception basically says “ignore
> the LGPL, whatever license you are using is what this library also uses”.
> Their exception seems to toss out sections 4 & 5 of the LGPL.
>
> As I read it you can modify the zeromq library and you are required to “pass
> along” the special exception - which means that it can be incorporated into
> a work under any license you want, which would presume that if the license
> prohibits distribution of the source then that is fine.

My experience is that companies with deep pockets are not going to
take the position that "Gee, the ASF found a loophole that relieves us
from the obligations of the original license, I guess we are good to
go then!".  Your experience may be different.

And I'll note that that's not just my experience, the folks who
maintain ZeroMQ acknowledge that their license has proven to be
problematic for corporate lawyers to accept:

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> At the end of COPYING.LESSER there is this:
>
> Note: this exception relieves you of any obligations under sections 4 and 5 of this license, and section 6 of the GNU General Public License.
>
> What isn’t clear to me is what happens to section 2 of the LGPL.  The fact that it clearly states that you can “copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms of your choice” means to me that whatever distribution requirements there might be under section 2 of the LGPL don’t apply.
>
> The way I read what is left of this license after the exclusion is that it is no worse than the Eclipse license.

As for LGPL, that's already in
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html as a Category X license.  If
somebody braver than I wishes to reopen that can of worms, feel free.
As for me, I'll sit that one out.  From my perspective, there is a
legitimate difference of opinion as to how LGPL can be interpreted,
and Jim's clear position is that in such case, we will take a
conservative position.  I support Jim on this approach.

> Ralph

- Sam Ruby

Re: ZeroMQ MPL Licensing plans?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Storm faced a similar issue. They coded around it.

Does jupityr really have to use 0mq?  Is there no other option?

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Philippe Ombredanne <po...@nexb.com>.

Fwd: ZeroMQ MPL Licensing plans?

>>1) Does Toree intend to include Jupyter in its download, or would the
>>end user be expected to install Jupyter separately?
>
> Jupyter is a separate tool not included by Toree (jupyter.org). Toree can
> get installed into Jupyter as what they call a kernel.

And "installing into Jupyter" requires ZeroMQ?  There are no alternatives?

I want to be thorough here.

>>2) You used the phrase "one of it's roles".  Would ZeroMQ be used for
>>any other use than as a server to Jupyter Notebook?
>
> There are other uses... but most would communicate with Toree through
> ZeroMQ.

Again, no alternatives?

---

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com> wrote:
>>1) Does Toree intend to include Jupyter in its download, or would the
>>end user be expected to install Jupyter separately?
>
> Jupyter is a separate tool not included by Toree (jupyter.org). Toree can
> get installed into Jupyter as what they call a kernel.

And "installing into Jupyter" requires ZeroMQ?  There are no alternatives?

I want to be thorough here.

>>2) You used the phrase "one of it's roles".  Would ZeroMQ be used for
>>any other use than as a server to Jupyter Notebook?
>
> There are other uses... but most would communicate with Toree through
> ZeroMQ.

Again, no alternatives?

---

Posted by Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Chip Senkbeil <ch...@gmail.com>.
Looked at the ZeroMQ link. They state it is not fully compatible with
ZeroMQ, but is fully POSIX compliant. We'd have to dig into all ZeroMQ apis
used by Jupyter to make sure we supported everything.

Posted by Chip Senkbeil <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.