Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrew2008 <ki...@hotmail.com> on 2008/02/23 19:37:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: re[users@httpd] verse https to http proxy not fully working

udotirol wrote:

> So in order to solve the riddle myself, the problem was really well
> hidden and not due to a the configuration I posted above.
>
> The problem was that I had mod_deflate globally enabled for the https
> host (being not only a reverse proxy but also a "regular" webserver as
> well), resulting in mod_deflate obviously having some precedence over
> mod_proxy_html and that again resulting in mod_proxy_html not converting
> anything.
>
> Disabling mod_deflate globally and enabling it only where I really
> needed it, solved the problem.
>
> However, this looks like a mod_proxy_html <=> mod_deflate interaction
> problem.

Hi there...is it okay if you can post all the changes that you made to your
httpd.conf in order to make things work please?  Sorry, i'm not familiar
with the mod_deflate module and I'm new to Apache.  I think I have the same
problem that you have.  Thanks in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: re[users@httpd] verse https to http proxy not fully working

Posted by Udo Rader <ud...@bestsolution.at>.
On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 10:37 -0800, Andrew2008 wrote:

> udotirol wrote:
> >
> > So in order to solve the riddle myself, the problem was really well
> > hidden and not due to a the configuration I posted above.
> >
> > The problem was that I had mod_deflate globally enabled for the https
> > host (being not only a reverse proxy but also a "regular" webserver as
> > well), resulting in mod_deflate obviously having some precedence over
> > mod_proxy_html and that again resulting in mod_proxy_html not converting
> > anything.
> >
> > Disabling mod_deflate globally and enabling it only where I really
> > needed it, solved the problem.
> >
> > However, this looks like a mod_proxy_html <=> mod_deflate interaction
> > problem.
> >

> Hi there...is it okay if you can post all the changes that you made to your
> httpd.conf in order to make things work please?  Sorry, i'm not familiar
> with the mod_deflate module and I'm new to Apache.  I think I have the same
> problem that you have.  Thanks in advance.

Sure, but there is not much magic in there. What I mostly did was to
remove mod_deflate from places (that is, Locations and Directories)
where I don't need/want it in reality instead of having it enabled
globally.

So my configuration for the reverse proxy approximately looks like this:

------CUT------
<VirtualHost 172.17.3.98:443>
  ServerName secure.example.com:443

  [...]

  <Proxy *>
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from all
  </Proxy>

#  ProxyHTMLLogVerbose On

   # produces huge amounts of logging data, because
   # mod_ssl is debug logging now as well
#  LogLevel Debug

  DeflateCompressionLevel 6

  # conflicts with mod_proxy_html, at least in my case :-)
#  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml

  ProxyHTMLInterp On
  ProxyHTMLExtended On

  ProxyPass /someApp/ http://internal.example.com:1520/someApp/
  ProxyHTMLURLMap http://internal.example.com/someApp/ /someApp/

  <Location /someApp/>
    ProxyPassReverse /
    SetOutputFilter  proxy-html
    ProxyHTMLURLMap  /      /someApp/
    ProxyHTMLURLMap  /someApp /someApp
  </Location>

  <Location /deflatedStuff/>
    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    [...]
  </Location>

The best indication that mod_proxy_html was not doing anything was by
turning on it's logging features and finding no traces of it in the log
file afterwards.

--
Udo Rader

bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH