Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2014/02/04 03:02:52 UTC

Change of IPMC Chair

Greetings,

Congratulations to Roman Shaposhnik!  The Incubator PMC has voted to recommend
Roman as our next Chair in a resolution to the Board next week.

My wholehearted thanks go out to everyone who has contributed to a podling or
otherwise worked to advance the Incubator during my tenure as Chair.  I look
forward to supporting Roman and to continued collaboration with you all, both
here in the Incubator and elsewhere.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> ...Congratulations to Roman Shaposhnik!  The Incubator PMC has voted to recommend
> Roman as our next Chair in a resolution to the Board next week....

FWIW, the corresponding resolution was passed by the ASF board last
week, so Roman as Incubator PMC chair is now effective - congrats and
thanks for accepting the job!

-Bertrand

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Neat, Congrats!!

--
Alejandro

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
Congratulations Roman!

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Congrats Roman!

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Marvin,

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Cautious congrats here, as the board still has to accept this
>> recommendation.
> You know, I thought about this before posting then went ahead anyway.  I
> suppose that in the future, best practice -- for any project -- would be to
> hold off on announcing a chair change until after the Board approves the
> resolution.  Similar to inviting new PMC members only after the NOTICE period
> expires....

Yes, that's correct - it's quite rare for the board to reject those
recommendations but that can happen, so it's safer to keep the
corresponding delays in mind.

No big deal, as the board meeting is on the 19th I just wanted to make
people aware of the delay before the change of chair is effective.

-Bertrand

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Congrats to Roman,

and thanks for your job Marvin.

Regards
JB

On 02/04/2014 03:02 AM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Congratulations to Roman Shaposhnik!  The Incubator PMC has voted to recommend
> Roman as our next Chair in a resolution to the Board next week.
>
> My wholehearted thanks go out to everyone who has contributed to a podling or
> otherwise worked to advance the Incubator during my tenure as Chair.  I look
> forward to supporting Roman and to continued collaboration with you all, both
> here in the Incubator and elsewhere.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Thanks Marvin for your great job these months!
And good luck to Roman in his new position.

On 04/02/14 03:02, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Congratulations to Roman Shaposhnik!  The Incubator PMC has voted to recommend
> Roman as our next Chair in a resolution to the Board next week.
>
> My wholehearted thanks go out to everyone who has contributed to a podling or
> otherwise worked to advance the Incubator during my tenure as Chair.  I look
> forward to supporting Roman and to continued collaboration with you all, both
> here in the Incubator and elsewhere.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
sergio.fernandez@salzburgresearch.at
http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Re: Change of IPMC Chair

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Congratulations to Roman Shaposhnik!  The Incubator PMC has voted to recommend
> Roman as our next Chair in a resolution to the Board next week.
>
> My wholehearted thanks go out to everyone who has contributed to a podling or
> otherwise worked to advance the Incubator during my tenure as Chair.  I look
> forward to supporting Roman and to continued collaboration with you all, both
> here in the Incubator and elsewhere.

I would like to thank Marvin for the outstanding service to the Incubator
community during his tenure. With him at the helm, the Incubator has
become a better project and he always made sure that the trains around
here run exactly on time. Thank you Marvin!

I would also like to express my gratitude towards all of the Incubator
project members for honoring me with the Chair's responsibilities. I will
try to do my best, even though the size of the shoes that Marvin is
leaving behind is way too big.

I remember when Marvin was elected a Chair his main focus was on
streamlining the report procedure. I think we can all agree that he
managed to accomplish this herculean task of cat herding (I'm surprised
Gods of Greece didn't come up with this particular labor). I personally
felt the impact of his policies and automation: the process has become
way more predictable (and thus a tad less chaotic).

I am assuming this role for exactly 6 months. Hopefully it will be long enough
to make a little bit of a difference, but not long enough to
completely burn out.
Building on the legacy of all the previous Chairs, my hope is to contribute in
a small way around improvements in automation and general accountability
for the incubating projects.

I hope for a fun ride, but I need your help. I don't think I can
manage without it.

Thanks,
Roman.