Posted to rampart-dev@ws.apache.org by "Fleischer, Julie N" <ju...@intel.com> on 2010/07/07 19:25:31 UTC

SAML 2.0 token support

Apache Rampart and WSS4J developers,
Companies in the Continua Health Alliance (http://www.continuaalliance.org/index.html) have found the Apache Rampart/ WSS4J projects quite useful in developing code towards Continua Design Guidelines.  We have a strong interest in SAML 2.0 token support for a future version of the Continua Design Guidelines.

Are you currently working on SAML 2.0 token support?  And, if so, do you have any estimate of when that work might be completed so that other companies could use it?  Is there anything Continua Health Alliance member companies can do to help increase the priority?  I cc'd some of the key companies interested in this support (IBM, Philips, BXI Health Systems, Intel).

Thanks for any information you can offer.
- Julie Fleischer (Intel Corporation, Continua Health Alliance member)
-----------------------
Julie Fleischer
Intel Corporation, Digital Health Group
503-456-6226

Re: SAML 2.0 token support

Posted by Håkon Sagehaug <ha...@uni.no>.
Hi

What about wss4j?
Does it pick up the SAML 2.0 assertion in the sec handler and can be fetched
as does with SAML 1 assertions, shown below?

    WSHandlerResult result = (WSHandlerResult) results.get(0);
            WSSecurityEngineResult wsSecurityEngineResult =
(WSSecurityEngineResult) result
                    .getResults().get(0);
            SAMLAssertion assertion = ((SAMLAssertion)
wsSecurityEngineResult
                    .get(WSSecurityEngineResult.TAG_SAML_ASSERTION));

cheers, Håkon

RE: SAML 2.0 token support

Posted by "Fleischer, Julie N" <ju...@intel.com>.
Thanks for the quick response!  After talking with others, I understand that my question didn't address all details.  Based on bugs https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAMPART-231 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-204, I understand that the issue is that SAML 2.0 can issue tokens but not validate them, thus we aren't able to use the SAML 2.0 token support yet.  Is this issue scheduled to be resolved in a future release, or is it an open issue for a community member to address before it will be completed?

I noticed that someone named Jonathan Whitall agreed to spend some time on this issue recently.  Is any other help needed?

Thanks.
- Julie Fleischer

Re: SAML 2.0 token support

Posted by Thilina Mahesh Buddhika <th...@gmail.com>.