Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/06 18:46:33 UTC

github wrangling

Hi, team.

Folks have expressed interest in continuing use of github for the purpose
of review.  I've discussed a plan for how we can transition and figured it
best to repost it here.  The idea is to have a place for legacy code
updates to occur from until the end of the year, and make space for the
next line of collaboration.

Current status:

jclouds on github is an account controlled only by me.  This includes the
repositories being imported into the ASF prefixed with incubator-

Ideal status (subject to debate):

jclouds on github is an org with representative members correlating to the
PPMC.  It contains forked repositories from the authoritative sources in
apache.
jclouds-legacy on github is an org with representative members correlating
to the PPMC.  Its repositories are the old ones, which were transferred to
it.  These repositories and the account are marked as deprecated.

I've already provisioned the org jclouds-legacy, and migrating repos to it
is pretty trivial.  Converting the existing jclouds account to an org is
very easy.  In other words, this process from a technical POV is stupidly
simple.

This all in mind, let's chat about any blocking concerns.  If there aren't
any, we should start the process so that we can start using github as a
collaboration point for code updates into the ASF.

you're on!

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
+1 for biting the bullet now and changing the group ID. Can we do some
proactive messaging to prepare people for the change that's going to
be required, e.g. publish a blog and an early heads-up to the user@
list?

ap

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I was referring to the mirroring of the ASF repos.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
>> Regarding synchronization, if possible it would be cleaner and better to
>> setup a server side git hook [2] to push the changes to the mirror in the
>> 'post-receive' stage.
>

> Sounds like the cleanest option, but I don't know whether we are able to set
> up hooks in the Apache Git repos.

Short answer: You are not.

--David

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
Quoting Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>:

> Maybe if we recreate the repos with the --mirror option [1] itis then
> properly shown as a mirror.
>
> Regarding synchronization, if possible it would be cleaner and better to
> setup a server side git hook [2] to push the changes to the mirror in the
> 'post-receive' stage.

Sounds like the cleanest option, but I don't know whether we are able
to set up hooks in the Apache Git repos.

Failing that, we can certainly set up a scheduled job on CloudBees to
do that. Shouldn't even be a problem with credentials, as I'd imagine
we'd simply be doing a clean checkout from the Apache repo and then
copying that over (using the --mirror command?)?

I've just set up an experimental job to try this to one of my repos:

https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/EXPERIMENTAL-mirror-apache-to-demobox/

It uses a deploy key (i.e. not *my* key) stored in the "private" area
of the CloudBees account which only has rights to the mirror repo.

Obviously, there is still potential of the key being leaked, but I
figure the worst case scenario is that bad stuff gets pushed to my
mirror repo. Since that's a read-only mirror in any case, and should
be overwritten regularly, this would seem acceptable to me..?

ap

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Is that actually usable yet? And how would that work for auto pushing? Looks like it still needs an intermediary daemon to pick up the message and act on it, which doesn't really supply much additional value over a basic clone/push (with --mirror) job/cron.

A.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
gitpubsub?

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi, CB peeps.

Thanks for the years of help you've given to jclouds!

We currently are considering CloudBees Dev@Cloud to push snapshots to the
ASF repos instead of Sonatype as we currently operate.  I suppose our
current means of just storing creds is perceived as "not safe enough".
 Fair point.  Someone could grab these credentials if they hacked into
cloudbees and publish a bad snapshot.  We don't want that.

What do you recommend for this?  Are there other ASF projects that use
dev@cloud to publish snapshots to the official repos?  How do they do it?

Cheers,
-A

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Yup. Exactly that.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the offer!

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hey, David.

Thanks for all the insight.  I think what you've mentioned is best.  We can
continue with the  code as it was, fixing headers etc for our first 1.5 and
1.6 release.

I think we will eventually change packages and that is probably worth doing
on new code or replacement abstractions etc.

Long way of saying +1 to preparing 1.6.1 as our first ASF release.

-A

RE: github wrangling

Posted by Zack Shoylev <za...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
>From a user viewpoint, I would be unpleasantly surprised to have to change all my jclouds imports, regardless of how advanced my search & replace is.

-Zack

Re: github wrangling

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.
Switching the forks should be as easy as updating the remotes:
  git remote set-url <remote name> <new url>

Something like:
  git remote set-url upstream
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-jclouds.git

Would do the change in most cases.

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
I don't mind. jclouds-archived jclouds-deprecated...  let's try and choose
one in the next day.  Any folks are happier with?

-A

Re: github wrangling

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Re: github wrangling