Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/06/17 00:48:18 UTC

LDFLAGS_SHLIB troubles

Guys, some input please.

We are currently assuming that the LDFLAGS_SHLIB we use for building
stuff from the Apache source tree can also be used to build stuff outside
the source tree.  For example, in the Configure script we currently have:

 LDFLAGS_SHLIB="$LDFLAGS_SHLIB -bI:\$(SRCDIR)/support/httpd.exp"
 LDFLAGS_SHLIB="$LDFLAGS_SHLIB -bE:\`echo \$@|sed -e 's:\.so\$\$:.exp:'\`"

which is rather bogus for an apxs build.  Basically for external modules
to build, this needs to look something like:

    -bI:@libexecdir@/httpd.exp -bE:@libexecdir@/httpd.exp

Now, I can fix this by either mungeing LDFLAGS_SHLIB before the sec in
src/support/Makefile.tmpl, or I can introduce an LDFLAGS_SHLIB_EXTERNAL
variable and populate that everywhere in src/Configure.

Anybody have an opinion on which way to go, or better yet, a cleaner
approach?

-Rasmus

Re: LDFLAGS_SHLIB troubles

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.
On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 06:48:18PM -0400, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> We are currently assuming that the LDFLAGS_SHLIB we use for building
> stuff from the Apache source tree can also be used to build stuff outside
> the source tree.  For example, in the Configure script we currently have:
>
>  LDFLAGS_SHLIB="$LDFLAGS_SHLIB -bI:\$(SRCDIR)/support/httpd.exp"
>  LDFLAGS_SHLIB="$LDFLAGS_SHLIB -bE:\`echo \$@|sed -e 's:\.so\$\$:.exp:'\`"
>
> which is rather bogus for an apxs build.  Basically for external modules
> to build, this needs to look something like:
>
>     -bI:@libexecdir@/httpd.exp -bE:@libexecdir@/httpd.exp

Uhm, why do you need to export as well as import the same set of
symbols? I would believe the httpd core needs -bE... and any DSO needs
the -bI... stuff. As I am not that familar with the configure stuff I
always copied the httpd.exp file into my installed include directory
and hacked the apxs by hand.

> Now, I can fix this by either mungeing LDFLAGS_SHLIB before the sec in
> src/support/Makefile.tmpl, or I can introduce an LDFLAGS_SHLIB_EXTERNAL
> variable and populate that everywhere in src/Configure.
>
> Anybody have an opinion on which way to go, or better yet, a cleaner
> approach?

I would believe a LDFLAGS_DSO_EXTERNAL would do it, one might need a
different set of flags for DSO's and shared libraries.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3