Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/04/15 16:42:08 UTC

Text rendering fix - PLEASE READ

Hi all,

I recently checked in a fix for PIVOT-393, which should improve text rendering and make it look more like native text. You can see an example here:

http://ixnay.biz/PIVOT-393/kitchen-sink.html

If you have a moment, please run this app and let me know if you see any issues with the text rendering. I am particularly interested in feedback from Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Linux users, as well as Windows XP users who are not using ClearType font smoothing.

Dirk - I would also appreciate it if you would re-run the test one more time. I made a minor optimization to the paint() methods of components that use GlyphVectors and I would like to verify that it does not have any impact on the output.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Re: Text rendering fix - PLEASE READ

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

> I recently checked in a fix for PIVOT-393, which should improve text
> rendering and make it look more like native text. You can see an example
> here:
>
> http://ixnay.biz/PIVOT-393/kitchen-sink.html

Windows XP SP3 32bit, JRE 6 Update 19, LCD 1280x1024 at 32 bit, with
ClearType off (standard), and on (cleartype).

The output is best than before (text is more clear than previous tests).
I'll re-test this new version as soon as possible again on Windows 7.

You can find the new screenshots and some comment here:

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Style options for Table

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Feel free to submit a JIRA ticket to rename the style and add support for an alternate foreground color.

Re: Style options for Table

Posted by Shahzad Bhatti <sb...@peak6.com>.

Re: Style options for Table

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Style options for Table

Posted by Shahzad Bhatti <sb...@peak6.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Thanks Jérôme. I suspect that the page load time is unrelated to this change. It may have to do with the fact that the page is hosted on ixnay.biz vs. pivot.apache.org.