Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Theoderik Orbus <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/04 20:57:25 UTC

typing formulae in writer

I am visually disable. I just spent about 3/4 of an our on the web site
attempting to find an answer to what I think is a simple question.
I have not been able to find instructions in OO or on the web site (or
anywhere else) on how to write subscripts and superscripts for chemical and
mathematical formulae in OO Writer.  I have to say the search was
exceedingly painful, physically, and accomplished nothing. The only reason
I have this e-mail address is it was given to me off line.
What I have tried is going to the "Insert" then "Special Characters" then
"Subscripts and superscripts" and finding none of the numbers i need to use.
I have seen formulae that were imported from other word processors
displayed correctly, but i have been unable to compose them correctly in OO
Writer.
if there is an instruction on how to do this, could you please place it
somewhere where it can be found?
thank you for your time.

RE: typing formulae in writer

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
With a document open in Writer, type the text normally, including any inserted symbols.

Then select any adjacent characters that you want to be positioned differently (super- or sub-).

Use the Format | Character ... selection from the menu bar.  On the Character dialog, select the "Position" tab.  The superscript, subscript, and other positioning selections are there.

If you are need more complicated formulas (such as exponentionals with exponentials as exponents) you'll need to use the Math editor via Insert | Object | Formula.  This will be more complicated.

I'm sorry to confess that I don't know how these work via assistive technologies.

 - Dennis

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
On 1/4/2013 16:37, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Theoderik,
>
> Theoderik Orbus schrieb:
>> I am visually disable. I just spent about 3/4 of an our on the web site
>> attempting to find an answer to what I think is a simple question.
>> I have not been able to find instructions in OO or on the web site (or
>> anywhere else) on how to write subscripts and superscripts for
>> chemical and
>> mathematical formulae in OO Writer.  I have to say the search was
>> exceedingly painful, physically, and accomplished nothing. The only
>> reason
>> I have this e-mail address is it was given to me off line.
>> What I have tried is going to the "Insert" then "Special Characters" then
>> "Subscripts and superscripts" and finding none of the numbers i need
>> to use.
>> I have seen formulae that were imported from other word processors
>> displayed correctly, but i have been unable to compose them correctly
>> in OO
>> Writer.
>> if there is an instruction on how to do this, could you please place it
>> somewhere where it can be found?
>> thank you for your time.
>>

> Good guides are produced by ODFAuthors. They are currently producing
> documentation for LibreOffice. But you can use it as well, the
> differences to Apache OpenOffice are small. You find the free pdf- and
> odt-versions on http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
>
> Older versions are available from
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_Chapters_ODT
>

> You get nice formulas using the formula editor. So in your case the
> "Math Guide 3.5" from libreoffice.org will be appropriate. If you like
> it shorter, the older chapter "Ch9 - Getting Started with Math" from
> openoffice.org might work as well.
>
> Adding filetype:odt to your search criteria helps to get more relevant
> search results.
>
> If you have special questions, please ask on users@openoffice.apache.org
> or on one of our forums in http://forum.openoffice.org/
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

The OO.o Math Guide for v3.3 is available on the wiki[1]. This is the
.odt reference (also available in .pdf) which has the advantage that you
read it in Writer, so you can look and see "how they did that".

A quick guide to the syntax (actually, the appendix to the Math Guide)
is also available in wiki format[2].

[1] <http://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/c/c8/0800MG33-MathGuide3.3.odt>

[2] <http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Reference/Math_commands>

/tj/