Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Thomas-W Hofmann <th...@db.com> on 2006/12/06 16:11:25 UTC

Planet 31. RC1 issue - Documentation !

Dave,

for example : What needs to be done to get the $planet model working
(adding class xxx either in properties file or the 3.1 settings textbox)
should be in the Template-guide, not where it is now (Userguide?) in
addition the tip next to the textbox should mention that if you wish to
use $planet in the template you should add the planet-model-class here !

I miss how the setup for clusters should be done. i.e. is it ok to have a
shared planet-cache directory , or a shared search directory ?
Some maillist threads talk about using memory based cache for clusters -
how can this be set up ? Example ?

I could provide 2 examples and some basic explanation how securities.xml
shold look like for LDAP access.

The roller.properties for 3.1 RC1 is a nightmare. Some parameters (in the
beginning -i.e. Dialectsetting) are dupes from the hibernate.xml config
which is also imported.
why is there a planet.properties file ? the parameters are in
roller.properties.

I still dont think the mail.Session and datasource/rollerdb resources
belong into web.xml - IMHO they should be specified globally in Tomcat and
referenced in CONTEXT.XML

no offense indended - Thomas

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Thomas Hofmann

--

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

Re: Planet 31. RC1 issue - Documentation !

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Thomas-W Hofmann wrote:
> Dave,
>
> for example : What needs to be done to get the $planet model working
> (adding class xxx either in properties file or the 3.1 settings textbox)
> should be in the Template-guide, not where it is now (Userguide?) in
> addition the tip next to the textbox should mention that if you wish to
> use $planet in the template you should add the planet-model-class here !

Well, I don't fully agree here.  I think you are right that there should
be a section of the template authors guide about using the $planet model
and it should probably reference a section in the user guide about
adding custom models for a weblog.  But the template guide is meant to
be only about the templating language, not about configuration stuff.

> I miss how the setup for clusters should be done. i.e. is it ok to have a
> shared planet-cache directory , or a shared search directory ?
> Some maillist threads talk about using memory based cache for clusters -
> how can this be set up ? Example ?

The clustering setup is still mostly unsupported in the sense that we
make no guarantees about how to run Roller in a clustered environment.

That being said, it definitely is possible depending on your
environment.  The big items that need to be considered are ...

1) caching.  both for Roller's rendering caches and hibernate's L2 cache.

2) scheduled tasks.  this should mostly work out of the box as of 3.1,
but there are still some kinks to work out.

3) search.  I think Elias is working on this, but as of right now there
is no way to cluster the search.

4) weblog uploads.  Most likely just use some kind of shared drive, but
however you do it you need these to be synchronized across the cluster.

I think that's it, but we don't have a definitive list anywhere.

> I could provide 2 examples and some basic explanation how securities.xml
> shold look like for LDAP access.

That would be great.  More and more people are plugging into LDAP so we
would love to have as much documentation on that as possible.  Make sure
you have looked at all the existing docs so we aren't duplicating anything.

> The roller.properties for 3.1 RC1 is a nightmare. Some parameters (in the
> beginning -i.e. Dialectsetting) are dupes from the hibernate.xml config
> which is also imported.
> why is there a planet.properties file ? the parameters are in
> roller.properties.

You'd have to explain this more.  How is roller.properties a nightmare?
  And hopefully you are following the docs and using a
roller-custom.properties file and only setting the properties you need to.

There is a planet.properties file in 3.1 because we are beginning to
isolate the planet code as it's own application.  This means that the
properties will be in it's own config file rather than in the roller config.

> I still dont think the mail.Session and datasource/rollerdb resources
> belong into web.xml - IMHO they should be specified globally in Tomcat and
> referenced in CONTEXT.XML

I don't understand what you mean.  You have to put it in both places.  A
webapp cannot reference a jndi bound resource if it is not defined in
the applications web.xml file.  The resource definitions in the web.xml
should never need to be touched, so if you are hacking on them then you
are probably doing something wrong.

You *do* have to put them in your context.xml file or whatever other
config file you have for your specific appserver.  Putting them in the
context.xml file is what actually defines the resource and configures it
for use.

-- Allen

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 12/6/06, Thomas-W Hofmann <th...@db.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> for example : What needs to be done to get the $planet model working
> (adding class xxx either in properties file or the 3.1 settings textbox)
> should be in the Template-guide, not where it is now (Userguide?) in
> addition the tip next to the textbox should mention that if you wish to
> use $planet in the template you should add the planet-model-class here !
>
> I miss how the setup for clusters should be done. i.e. is it ok to have a
> shared planet-cache directory , or a shared search directory ?
> Some maillist threads talk about using memory based cache for clusters -
> how can this be set up ? Example ?
>
> I could provide 2 examples and some basic explanation how securities.xml
> shold look like for LDAP access.
>
> The roller.properties for 3.1 RC1 is a nightmare. Some parameters (in the
> beginning -i.e. Dialectsetting) are dupes from the hibernate.xml config
> which is also imported.
> why is there a planet.properties file ? the parameters are in
> roller.properties.
>
> I still dont think the mail.Session and datasource/rollerdb resources
> belong into web.xml - IMHO they should be specified globally in Tomcat and
> referenced in CONTEXT.XML
>
> no offense indended - Thomas

No offense taken. Thank you very much for the feedback.

- Dave