Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2013/07/07 03:01:12 UTC

Buildbot RAT reports no longer working for Cayenne project

Hi,

It seems that you've made some changes to bypass the ASF Buildbot [1]
producing your RAT reports [2] and you now do it a different way.

This puzzles me somewhat since Ari had only just opened an INFRA [3] issue 4
days ago to get it working on Buildbot [4] . And I responded quickly and
got it working right away (3 days ago). All one needed to do from then on
was to enhance your rat-excludes file but you have removed it, making all
the builds now fail on every commit. [5] (many projects do find it useful
and work ok with a rat-excludes file [6])

Going forward, if you intend doing your own rat-reports without buildbots
assistance, shall I remove the buildbot configuration for Cayenne?

(In the meantime, I've changed the failure/pass emails for this build from
my inbox to this dev list)

Thanks

Gav...

[1] - http://ci.apache.org/buildbot.html
[2] - http://ci.apache.org/projects/cayenne/rat-output.html
[3] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-6488
[4] - http://ci.apache.org/builders/cayenne-trunk-rat-report/builds/3
[5] - http://ci.apache.org/builders/cayenne-trunk-rat-report/builds
[6] - http://ci.apache.org/projects/rat-master-summary.html

---

Re: Buildbot RAT reports no longer working for Cayenne project

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Jul 8, 2013, at 2:15 AM, Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:

>> The build is back to normal, although the report at
>> http://ci.apache.org/projects/cayenne/rat-output.html is not. I tried both
>> <filename> patterns and **/<filename> patterns with no visible difference.
>> What I noticed is that timestamp in the bottom of the report is stuck at
> 2013-
>> 07-06T11:25:18.046Z (which is yesterday). Do we need to do anything to
>> refresh the report?
>
> Looks good to me:
>
> Generated at 2013-07-07T22:25:21.521Z
>
> Zero license issues, good stuff!
>
> Report is uploaded right away to the web server, but generated into html
> hourly, hence the delay.

Ah great. I got spoiled by our new CMS into thinking that web server publishing is instantaneous in all cases :)

> I wonder if you can create your rat-excludes file from your rat.sh by
> extending it, that way you wont have to physically
> maintain two files to please two systems? Or use rat-excludes as pattern
> input for rat.sh, just thinking out loud.

Will going to do that, except that there's still one remaining puzzle - Ant is the only env where "**/xyz" style patterns are supported. Command line and Maven excludes simply match on the file name, and can't contain slashes. I guess how to reconcile those is a question for the creadur mailing list.

Andrus

RE: Buildbot RAT reports no longer working for Cayenne project

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Gavin,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

No worries Andrus,

ok so we have a few things going on :-

commit -> build -> rat report -> published.

1. A commit to your trunk automatically triggers a build to the
cayenne-trunk-rat-report build contained in:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster
/master1/projects/cayenne.conf

which checks out a new copy of your trunk then runs this command:

'bash', '-c', 'ant -f /home/buildslave1/slave1/rat-buildfiles/cayenne.xml
-lib /home/buildslave1/

so that command references two files:

1.)
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/ceres/buildslave1
/slave1/rat-buildfiles/cayenne.xml

-- the above file looks for <excludesfile
name="${src-dir}/build-tools/rat-excludes" />

which is now missing and why your buildbot reports fail now.

2.) the current rat release jar file held at
/home/buildslave1/apache-rat-0.8-SNAPSHOT.jar

(I will update that jar soon).

As a committer, you should have access to those files in svn to take a look
(and make changes).

Note that we don't use maven for rat on buildbot slaves so if you need any
help in that regard, the creadur (nee rat) dev
mailing list is very good.

For anything else, I'll be glad to assist getting all aspects working.

Gav...

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Gavin,