Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Hrishikesh Gadre <ga...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/22 21:17:13 UTC

Solr query sizing

Hi,

Is it possible to get an estimate of size of all documents that match a
specific search query in Solr? If not - is it feasible to add such support?

Regards
Hrishikesh

Re: Solr query sizing

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
What do you mean by "size"? Raw text size? Index size?
I don't see how to do this automatically since "size" is
so ambiguous. What does "size" mean for a document
with a text field and 5 float fields for instance? Should
the floats be counted for size to be the number of
characters in the original input? The size of a Java float?
etc., etc., etc.

All is not lost though. The simple approach would be to
index the size along with the document (conveniently
discarding whatever you might decide is unimportant),
then use the stats component on that field, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/The+Stats+Component

Best,
Erick