Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Andrew Sondgeroth <AS...@intertech-inc.com> on 2003/10/13 04:28:30 UTC

i18n-Native American question

I read (somewhere) that a Minnesota-based Native American group and one
of the committers came to an agreement that Geronimo will contain some
i18n modules with one or more Native American languages.

Can someone point me to the appropriate URL or elaborate on the details
for me?

Thanks,

-a

(FYI - I'm putting together an article and I want to get my facts
straight.)

Re: i18n-Native American question

Posted by "n. alex rupp" <ru...@umn.edu>.
It's a very unfortunate thing, actually.  I did not write an entry to
retrace the matter as it developed, as I most likely should have.  The lady
to which I spoke admitted to me that she was only a part-time employee of
the organization in question.  Worse, she is the sole representative of
their Minnesota office, which doesn't have time to pursue this particular
matter with us.  While there might be other organizations of similar nature,
hers will be incapable of pursuing the matter further with us, due to lack
of time and resources.

However, my desire to add i18n support to the backbone of the user interface
stands.  If we provide the capability for people on the list to customize
the language of the console, user interface, help files, etc; I think it
will help non-english speakers add support for their languages.

I ever learn to read and write Lakota or Ojibwe, I'll be happy to create
language packs for them but would otherwise suggest someone more proficient
than me do that job.  Until someone comes around and does, I don't see the
matter as a pressing concern.

Translation of documentation and wiki into other languages is always
welcome.  Those of you with little or no idea how you can become involved
might consider helping with translation : )

--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)