Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org> on 2010/11/07 23:05:42 UTC

Backwards incompatible changes and package names (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0)

It will be a new sub-project. commons-vfs-2.<x> and commons-vfs2-1.0
should be able to co-exist on the same classpath.

For maven reasons, it is not desirable to have <artifactId> shift its
internal packages (because Maven does not understand that 2.0 and 3.0
are not compatible) and commons-vfs and commons-vfs2 should not use
use the same packages.

So commons-vfs will continue to use  org.apache.commons.vfs.* and
commons-vfs2 will use org.apache.commons.vfs2.*

And it must be possible to have both versions on the classpath without
clashing.

-h

Re: Backwards incompatible changes and package names (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> If this is rushing I'd hate to see slow. Releasing VFS 2.0 has been discussed several times over the last year or more. None of this is new information.

Rushing as in doing something before it's time to do it, not rushing
as in doing something quickly.

Re: Backwards incompatible changes and package names (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Nov 7, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 11/7/10 8:19 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> So you think that if there is no API break, then you don't bump major
>> version numbers?  So what about vfs 2.0?  Would you vote against it?
>
> I would not -1 the release, but I would encourage the RM to consider making it 1.x if there are no compat breaks.

As Sebb has shown there are compatibility breaks.  The real issue here is that it has been far too long since a VFS release has been done.

I'm not sure why the version was bumped from 1.1 to 2.0, but it happened in March 2008, at least 8 months before I started working on the code.  That change was 16 months after the prior release.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 November 2010 07:32, Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> [...]

I think we ought to remove the deprecations as well, otherwise they
cannot be removed until 3.0, which I assume will require yet another
package/artid change.

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/10 8:19 PM, James Carman wrote:
> So you think that if there is no API break, then you don't bump major
> version numbers?  So what about vfs 2.0?  Would you vote against it?

I would not -1 the release, but I would encourage the RM to consider
making it 1.x if there are no compat breaks.

Phil

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
It's not a new subproject.  It's just a new version of the same
subproject.  Trust me, I know about how the maven artifactId/package
name/classpath stuff works.  I've had this discussion many times
before on this list.  VFS is releasing its 2.0 release right now.  If
you want to make binary incompatible changes, it has to bump its major
version number to 3 (along with artifactId/package change).  This is