Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr> on 2019/10/17 14:10:25 UTC

Migrating to Git

Now that the Git synchro is working again, I think it would be great if
we could move forward regarding the SVN to Git migration.

I am not sure what needs be done to achieve such result, is it just a
matter of opening a INFRA ticket on Jira? What can I do to help?

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@apache.org>.
Here is the task for svn to git migration post actions
Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
ofbiz.apache.org

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@apache.org>.

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Forgot: done with OFBIZ-11270 :)

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> 1. I'll change the Buildbot config

Just had a look, most is easy. There are though 2 issues:

     1. we have no Git repo for 16.11. I guess the repo is not read only and we can continue to use it. But anyway, then backporting will be come
        harder...
     2. We used svn export to grab rat-excludes.txt from tools and use it in the build. I don't see any equivalent for Git. I'll ask Infra if they
        know a solution

Jacques

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

Thanks all for the good work and this page: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Migration+from+Subversion+%28SVN%29+to+Git. I guess we
can remove the comments once all is done.
I also think we should right now remove this line

    "The above workflow can also adhere to the now famous Vincent Driessen git branching model found here..."

See below about workflow.

As ever, the devil is in the details, and we know there are much "details" when it comes to Git[1] ;)

More seriously, I was looking on how to modify some scripts in tools.

Revert seems easy[2][3]. As long as you are not pushing you can do what you want locally. So I think we can agree about changing revert scripts to the
simplest form and let people handle details themselves. Aditya added a comment[4] about that.

There is more work withbackporting the fixes (mergefrom scripts). We need 1st to agree about a default revert workflow: cherry pick or merge?[5].
Cherry pick seems OK since we mostly backport fixes. But surprises may come when backporting features? Also what about the commit message? Should I'll
wait a decision before going ahead?

About the global workflow, we maybe don't need to make things complex and what Taher proposed is enough[6]. Else this recent article[7] is a good
summary to discuss and pick/adapt a workflow. This will maybe surge in time maybe better to address it before, if we have ideas...

Now,

 1. I'll change the Buildbot config
 2. I'll will look at line endings per repository[8] and get back to you before any change.

BTW, should this Mathieu's concern[9] been addressed?

Thanks

Jacques

[1] https://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net/ (sorry could not resist, happy Git goggling)
[2] https://s.apache.org/f3610
[3] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-revert
[4] https://s.apache.org/gsgp7
[5] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1241720/git-cherry-pick-vs-merge-workflow
[6] https://medium.com/@patrickporto/4-branching-workflows-for-git-30d0aaee7bf
[7] https://s.apache.org/cogvj
[8] https://s.apache.org/gz5p0
[9] https://markmail.org/message/aqorzx4s2xhirb6u

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@apache.org>.

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello,

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.
Thank you Deepak for the notes.

Team,
We are maintaining this document
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/Xg-HBg containing details to help us
in migrating from SVN to Git.
Please feel free to edit if you feel some information or TODO is missing.

Best regards,
Swapnil M Mane,
ofbiz.apache.org

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
The RAT tools is used in Buildbot builds scripts, all builds should be easily modifiable

Jacques

Re: Migrating to Git

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@apache.org>.
+1