Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Matthew Lancashire <m....@ies.uk.com> on 2003/04/22 11:23:03 UTC

PCL to FO

Is there a way of converting PCL printer output to FO and hence be able to
create a PDF doc.
If so what is it.

regards

Matthew Lancashire
IT Project Manager
Initial Electronic Security Ltd

Tel: +44 1282 473554
Fax: +44 1254 267552

RE: PCL to FO

Posted by Matthew Lancashire <m....@ies.uk.com>.
Thanks. We have many options from the commercial software houses. I wanted a
free one and thought I could use the component I had already written for xml
to fop.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
No, it doesn't make sense to feed these documents through FOP. There are
lots of tools to convert Office docs to PDF (Adobe PDFWriter,
ActivePDF, even GhostScript etc. etc.). FOP is not suited for that.

On 22.04.2003 15:56:22 Matthew Lancashire wrote:
> Maybe I didn't ask the right question :)
>
> I have users that have documents in Excel, Word etc and want to convert to
> pdf fo they can be published under a common format.
> The ways that are proposed so far are purchasing a printer driver that
> creates PDF. I was wondering if it was possible to avoind this and feed the
> printer output through FOP in some way. Hence the question about PCL to
> FO/PDF.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: PCL to FO

Posted by Matthew Lancashire <m....@ies.uk.com>.
D/ling now. Looks like just what I need. Sourceforge is great

R: PCL to FO

Posted by Pierfrancesco Bionda <pi...@soluzioniweb.it>.

RE: PCL to FO

Converting PCL to XSL-FO doesn't make a lot of sense (and is impossible
to do well). Same for PDF-->XSL-FO and PostScript-->XSL-FO. If you
wanted PCL-->SVG, PDF-->SVG, PostScript-->SVG, then it would make more
sense because the formats are more alike in what they try to accomplish.
PCL, for example, does not care about blocks and columns and tables (I
think). It knows about painting "Hello World" at coordinate (x,y) on a
page. A PCL file converted to XSL-FO would have a lot of absolutely
positioned block-containers to get the positioning of text right, for
example. It will be a mess. :-)

If you like compiling C programs you should look at GhostScript's sister
project GhostPCL (http://www.artifex.com/downloads/). I think it can
convert PCL to PDF but I don't know how well.

If you have a document flow that involves PCL I'd see if you can hook in
before PCL is generated.

On 22.04.2003 11:23:03 Matthew Lancashire wrote:
> Is there a way of converting PCL printer output to FO and hence be able to
> create a PDF doc.
> If so what is it.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: PCL to FO

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Converting PCL to XSL-FO doesn't make a lot of sense (and is impossible
to do well). Same for PDF-->XSL-FO and PostScript-->XSL-FO. If you
wanted PCL-->SVG, PDF-->SVG, PostScript-->SVG, then it would make more
sense because the formats are more alike in what they try to accomplish.
PCL, for example, does not care about blocks and columns and tables (I
think). It knows about painting "Hello World" at coordinate (x,y) on a
page. A PCL file converted to XSL-FO would have a lot of absolutely
positioned block-containers to get the positioning of text right, for
example. It will be a mess. :-)

If you like compiling C programs you should look at GhostScript's sister
project GhostPCL (http://www.artifex.com/downloads/). I think it can
convert PCL to PDF but I don't know how well.

If you have a document flow that involves PCL I'd see if you can hook in
before PCL is generated.

On 22.04.2003 11:23:03 Matthew Lancashire wrote:
> Is there a way of converting PCL printer output to FO and hence be able to
> create a PDF doc.
> If so what is it.

Jeremias Maerki