Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net> on 2017/09/01 20:32:06 UTC

CloudStack modules in Ansible 2.4

Hi

Ansible 2.4 is in feature freeze and to be released in a couple of days.
Let me give you a summary about the CloudStack related changes:

# New Modules

We have a handful of new modules:

cs_instance_nic
cs_instance_nic_secondaryip
cs_network_acl
cs_network_acl_rule
cs_storage_pool
cs_vpn_gateway

The module cs_nic, introduced in 2.3 is maked as deprecated and replaced
by cs_instance_nic_secondaryip.

For a full overview of all modules, head over to the official docs
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/list_of_cloud_modules.html#cloudstack

# Automated Integration tests

I am very proud to present Ansible's fully automated integration test
suite of a cloudstack simulator, currently in versino 4.9.2, in docker.

This means, a new PR against a ansible cloudstack modules starts a
cloudsatck simulator and runs the integration test, fully automated.

But this is also for you, having docker installed you are a few commands
away to run a test run locally. To make it clear, this does it all for
you: It downloads the docker image, waits until booted, setup 2
cloudstack zones (basic, advanced, configures auth to run ansible
against the API.

How does this work?

## Get latest Ansible as virtual env (in the current terminal session)

$ git clone git@github.com:ansible/ansible.git
$ cd ansible
$ source ./hacking/env-setup

## Run the full test suite

$ cd test/integration/
$ ansible-test integration cloud/cs -v --diff

## Run a subset e.g. cs_instance

$ ansible-test integration cloud/cs/cs_instance -v --diff

The docker image is located at the ansible project or
https://github.com/resmo/docker-cloudstack-simulator-for-ansible. I am
currently working to upgrade it to 4.10, which needs some adjustments in
the creationals handling as this as been changed.

# Full log of CloudStack related changes

See https://gist.github.com/resmo/5e5fcf0bd941421682c4771e28112e05 for a
full log of cloudstack related changes. Thanks for all contributors

Take care
René

Re: CloudStack modules in Ansible 2.4

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi René,

Brilliant, thanks for the continued contributions of some excellent modules + congratulations on the book as well!

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: CloudStack modules in Ansible 2.4

Posted by Eric Tykwinski <er...@truenet.com>.
René,

It is a really good book, so thanks on that.  One thing on the next revision is probably hit up vaults a bit more and various authentication procedures.
I come from more of the networking side, but creating various vaults for different ops is probably mainstream.  IE dev vs prod, BGP vs IGP, et al…

Probably off topic, but thanks for the updates...

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Dennis

Posted by Dennis Meyer <sn...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

first of all great news about contributing known deployment tools, but i
have a question about known best practices:
Isnt Hashicorps Terraform made for infrastructure stuff like adding a
second nic  into vms, instead of Ansible?

I thought ansible is made to deploy the meaning or behaviour of a vm, and
not managing its dependencies beyond its space.

Best Regards,
Snooops