Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Naveen Kalla <mr...@google.com.INVALID> on 2016/07/13 18:28:21 UTC

[dev] Re: Native JSON support for Storage

Hi libclould maintainers,

I would like to enhance libcloud Storage APIs to support JSON APIs
natively. Google's SDK "google-api-python-client" seems to have some APIs
that will make it easier to add new features to libcloud to support Google
Cloud Platform APIs.

Is it Ok to add a dependency on google-api-python-client ?

Thanks,
Naveen

Re: [dev] Re: Native JSON support for Storage

Posted by Naveen Kalla <mr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the response Eric.

In this case, google-api-python-client has all the APIs needed to add
additional functionality to libcloud to access Google's cloud. It is open
source code. They are well tested and widely used. I don't see much value
in re-implementing them in libcloud from scratch. Re-implementing them
differently from scratch in libcloud will also add additional maintenance
overhead. The key benefit of open source is the ability to reuse the code
when appropriate.

Will someone be able to list the key reasons why we avoid such
dependencies? If there any concrete problems, we can see if we can use
libcloud without running into those problems.

Thanks,
Naveen.

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Naveen,