Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/24 18:29:24 UTC

IBM ICU for PsychoPath and xerces-j

Hello all,
   I have been having some discussion with PsychoPath (the XPath 2.0
processor being used by Xerces-J's XML Schema 1.1 implementation) team
recently. They have asked me to send this question to xerces list, for
knowing xerces project's opinion about this.

PsychoPath still needs to have better implementation of normalization
and collation. We are playing with some of the ideas, about how to do
this. One good option with us, is to use the IBM ICU components
(International Component for Unicode).

Would xerces project have any concerns/issues with PsychoPath
depending on ICU or a narrow portion of it for some of the
functionality?

I need to convey the xerces project's opinion about this, to PsychoPath team.

I would appreciate if we could have a quick discussion on this.

Mukul Gandhi

Re: IBM ICU for PsychoPath and xerces-j

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,
   We want to use ICU components in PsychoPath. In community, Xerces
is currently the major consumer of PsychoPath. From Xerces's point of
view, I agree that PsychoPath (plus ICU components in it) must ideally
compile with JDK 1.3.

PsychoPath still would have usage beyond Xerces as well, as it's an
independent Eclipse project. Currently, PsychoPath is compiled with
JDK 1.5, and we plan to port it to JDK 1.4 in future. PsychoPath
project as such currently, doesn't want to have PsychoPath project
work on JDK 1.3 level (this has been discusses also on this list
recently).

Xerces users, who want to use advanced PsychoPath functionality (like
better normalization, and collation), need to work at higher JDK
levels, it seems at moment, perhaps JDK 1.5.

We can have an effort, from Xerces team (i am willing to invest time
on it. but it's not a trivial effort) to port PsychoPath on JDK 1.3.
But as suggested by Michael, on this list some time ago, Xerces users,
who need better XPath 2.0 compliance, can download the latest
PsychoPath release from www.eclipse.org.
Apache Xerces SVN repository already has, a JDK 1.3 compliant
PsychoPath JAR, which is fairly nicely compliant to XPath 2.0.

Posted by Richard Kelly <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mukul,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.