Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/17 22:43:34 UTC

[DRLVM] MMTk porting status + where should we put DRLVM/MMTk porting files?

All,

The latest version of MMTk source code was downloaded from
http://cs.anu.edu.au/~Steve.Blackburn/private/mmtk-20060714.jar  This
version is virtually identical to what will be in the new JikesRVM
release shortly.  (See email on "Fwd: MMTk re-org…" for details).

The directory called src/org/mmtk/vm contains 19 java source files.
These files are stubs which are intended to be modified to fit a
specific JVM.  The first pass at modifying these files is complete.
The entire MMTk including modified stubs compiles to *.class files and
an "MMTk.jar" file has been built.  To make initial bringup simple,
MMTk configuration called, "NoGC" has been hardcoded into the stubs.
Basically NoGC has a normal allocator but the collector is a no op.
This allows us to avoid write barrier, enumeration, etc issues for
initial bringup.  Also, initial bringup will be single threaded.  Thus
we avoid dealing with sync/deadlock/race issues initially.

A simple "java main()" program was modified to create an instance of
the MMTk.  In other words, "VM mmtk_init = new VM();"  During
<clinit>, Address.plus() is executed.  Since jitrino.jet does not yet
have an intrinsic for this vmmagic function, DRLVM throws an exception
and exits. (See previous email called, "Fwd: MMTk re-org…")

Where should we put the DRLVM/MMTk porting layer?

Following the precedent set by JikesRVM, the porting layer source code
is in the MMTk tree under:

MMTk/ext/vm/HarmonyDRLVM/org/apache/HarmonyDRLVM/mm/mmtk/*.java

The porting layer is in the Java package:  "package
org.apache.HarmonyDRLVM.mm.mmtk;"

Given the above, how about we put the porting layer java files at:
…/incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/org/apache/HarmonyDRLVM/mm/mmtk/*.java?
  Thoughts?

--
Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division