Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Hills <ro...@netpaver.com.au> on 2005/11/14 09:20:16 UTC

How to make a ROOT webapp outside $TOMCAT_HOME work in 5.5.12

Hi All,

I have a configuration setup that used to work Tomcat on 5.5.9 but I
can't get it to work in 5.5.12.  Our web apps live outside the
$TOMCAT_HOME tree - a number of virtual hosts defined in server.xml,
each with an appBase pointing to the web app's directory and each with a
ROOT.xml context file in $TOMCAT_HOME/Catalina/$VIRTUAL_HOSTNAME/.
After upgrading my development environment to 5.5.12 I found that these
apps now won't work.  Tomcat wants them to live in a ROOT folder under
the appBase directory.  I tried specifying a docBase in the ROOT.xml
file but no joy, either with a relative path (ie relative to the
appBase) or an absolute path.  The error log still contains lines like this:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
d:\wwwRoot\www.netpaver.com.au\www\ROOT does not exist or is not a
readable directory

Now, I know I can move everything down into a ROOT directory under my
appBase, or put it all into a WAR file (which is what we do in
production).  However, these are all applications under active
development, tied to repository folder structures, development
processes, documentation, build scripts etc etc. so it would not be a
trivial change.

So my question is:  Is there any way to make this work like it did in
5.5.9 without a major restructure of our development environment?
Should Tomcat be ignoring the "docBase" attribute of the Context element
or is that a bug?

Cheers,

Rob Hills
West Perth