Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/15 20:13:29 UTC

Re: [DAS] XQuery-DAS

Hi,
Yes, Saxon was suggested by Ant also before and it has saxon-b as freeware.
Anybody please any comment on any licensing restrictions? Also I was just
giving a try to DB2 Express XQuery support. There are a couple of others
listed in June
15 mail, in this same thread. Saxon will be a good choice from XQJ
compliance point too.
(I will be able to upload a patch in 1-2 days time on the top of what
is there in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/lresende/das/
with some documentation to continue design discussion)

Regards,
Amita

Re: [DAS] XQuery-DAS

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Comments inline

On 7/18/07, Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
> I am trying to summarize some updates on progress in XQuery DAS -
> extended the Service Provider framework to support invocation of
> different XQuery Implementations.
>
> Open Issues:-
> I am considering 2 alternative XQuery Implementations
>
> 1) DB2 Express
> - here my main concern is, is it possible to get any db2 jars under maven
> repo?
> - based on license, will there be any problems in getting this under maven
> repo?
> anybody any clue?

When connecting to DB2, what are the jars going to be used for ? I'd
imagine this scenario would be simmilar to regular RDB DAS connecting
to MySQL, where we give people the proper instructions to configure
their environment (e.g download JDBC driver) so DAS could work with.

> 2) Saxon
> Some plus points here are
> - it is following XQJ compliance (not completely)
> - there is a claim that Flat File as well as Database back end is supported.
>
> (I have come across problems when checking the database support in saxon-b,
> getting exception when I try to pass JDBC Connection in SaxonXQDataSource()
> constructor ,  looks like - not yet implemented - in Saxon)
>
> Some open issues are
> - 2 Saxon jars are required at minimal to use XQJ compliance - saxon8 and
> saxon8-xqj.
> (which are part of version 8.9), but the highest version I could see in
> maven repos
> was 8.7 and so 3 jars (including xqj) are missing too.
> > - So, either, we need to leave XQJ ((:), and use whatever is available in
> 8.7 or otherwise
> have a way to get the latest saxon version in maven repos. It will be great
> if latest 8.9
> saxon can appear in maven repo.

If we decide to use this libraries,  we could contact the Saxon
community at sourceforge and check if they would upload the required
to maven. I'm not sure if we could directly try to work with maven
team to post these libraries to some maven repo.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: [DAS] XQuery-DAS