Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/27 17:29:40 UTC

Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

I need to know if the error is from my part (server administrator),
from the developer or from the hardware/vms. Some times that occurs
when processing two milion of registry (i am talking from expressocard
a company of credit cards).

Its a rarely error because this processing occurs rarely.

in fact, mysql in the another server with 12 processors, still
running, and tomcat in a virtual machine called adm (in another
physical machine, with 4 processors) still running.

So, this errors occurs like that:

1- Tomcat started
2- This processing is realized ok in the first time
3- Tomcat stable in the users acess.
4- The processing is realized again, some days later, inn 98% of
processing servers crashes, but mysql is still running.
5- Restar of tomcat service tomcat6 restart
6- the processing started again, and server can done the processing.

In the moment of the crash:
jstat -class
Loaded  Bytes  Unloaded  Bytes     Time

 15007 32265.0      300   505.9      12.11

Java using: 914mb
Free memory on the virtual machine server: 2152

Java says:
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
Java heap space at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:232) at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:91) at
wfr.rules.WFRRule.execute(WFRRule.java:1820) at
wfr.rules.WFRRule.execute(WFRRule.java:1792) at
wfr.web.actions.ExecuteRuleAction.execute(ExecuteRuleAction.java:198)
at wfr.web.Action.doAction(Action.java:126) at
wfr.web.Controller.process(Controller.java:100) at
wfr.web.Controller.doPost(Controller.java:67) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717) at
at wfr.web.ContextFilter.doFilter(ContextFilter.java:78) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:470)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662) Caused by:

Java options (that i configurate)
-Djava.awt.headless=true
-Xmx512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=3512M
-XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=4
-XX:+UseParNewGC

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Luciano Andress Martini wrote:

> Thank you and sorry Chuck.
> Jeffrey what is your opinion about this?
> The development team is using a software that "Draw" java code called
> developer, and do not programming in. Im a assembler/C programmer and
> don't have so much knowing about java.
>
> But all the fault is falling back to me in the company.

Time to look for another job, maybe ?
Or start your own company; then you can tell someone else that it is his fault.

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 30/01/2012 16:05, Luciano Andress Martini wrote:
> 2012/1/30, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com>:
>>> From: Luciano Andress Martini [mailto:777user@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....
>>
>>> Jeffrey im sorry, but i need to ask, my boss says that is impossible
>>> to be a problem in the software cause java unalocate objects
>>> automatically, is that true?
>>
>> A) Stop your top posting - it's incredibly annoying and makes people much
>> less likely to help.
>>
>> B) Your boss is wrong.  Google for many examples of memory leaks in Java.
>>
>>  - Chuck
>>

>> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY
>> MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received
>> this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its
>> attachments from all computers.

> Thank you and sorry Chuck.
> Jeffrey what is your opinion about this?
> The development team is using a software that "Draw" java code called
> developer, and do not programming in. Im a assembler/C programmer and
> don't have so much knowing about java.
>
> But all the fault is falling back to me in the company.

1.  We do not know that there is a memory leak.
2.  Your memory configuration was screwy.

Your actions are:

1.  Give us more information.  E.g.

2.  Use a sensible memory configuration.
3.  Test your application with some real data in an environment that
replicates production or worse, use the production environment.
4.  Report back.

[key:62590808]

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.
2012/1/30, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>:
> [...]
> you should leave
> java to decide when that is necessary.
>
> So why do you not set the java command-line this way :
>
>   java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
>
> and that's it. No more "-XX" parameters for now.
> Java will set all the other parameters to their default values, which are
> probably fine.
>
> And then try your application.  And then /if there is a problem/ let us know
> again what
> the Tomcat logfile says, before you change any parameter again.
>
> The "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" switches will set both the minimum and the maximum
> java Heap
> size to 1024 MB.  In other words, they will "fix" to 1024 MB the size of the
> Heap, which
> is where java allocates the space that it needs to store new objects, when
> it needs them.
> And before this Heap fills up, java automatically runs the Garbage
> Collector, to free some
> space on the Heap.  This is automatic and normal; that is how java works.
>
> /If/ there is a memory leak in the application, then little by little, and
> despite the
> fact that java runs the Garbage Collector from time to time, the Heap will
> fill up, and
> the GC will not be able to make space free anymore.  And then java will try
> to do a GC
> more often, and your server will slow down.
> And then, sooner or later, you will have an "out of memory" again.
>
> But maybe there is no memory leak.
> So far, neither you nor us have seen any /evidence/ that there is a memory
> leak. Maybe the
> size of the Heap - which you had limited before to 512 MB - was just not
> enough to process
> the millions of transactions of which you were talking.
>
> When you click a button in the application, something happens in the
> application
> (supposedly, some work gets done).  In java, when an application does
> something, most of
> the time it means that many new objects get created; and creating new
> objects uses space
> on the Heap.  Most of the time also, the majority of these objects only have
> a short
> lifetime, and when they are not needed anymore they disappear, and java will
> after a while
> free the space that they used on the Heap.  So the usage of memory inside
> the Heap goes up
> and down all the time, and that is normal.
>
> There are many methods and tools for java that allow to see what java does
> with the
> memory.  If you still have a problem after the above, we will tell you about
> them.
> But the first step is to simplify your setup, run the application and
> finding out if there
> is really a problem.
>

> (*) I would have used pecking, but since they're headless..

my heap size is 1512, some wrong in the message, but now 2000 with the
Xms too. Thank you.

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Luciano Andress Martini wrote:
> Now my boss talked with the developers and added a command to call the
> garbage colector, it is very better now, and we find the bad guy, its
> a button, when we click then, the memory increases.

Luciano,

your original post about this issue mentioned this error :
 > at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662) Caused by:
 >
 > Java options (that i configurate)
 > -Djava.awt.headless=true
 > -Xmx512m
 > -XX:MaxPermSize=3512M
 > -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
 > -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
 > -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
 > -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4
 > -XX:+UseParNewGC
and later you told us (not necessarily in that order) :

The system is 64 bits + Java 64 bits, running in debian
 > paravirtualized with Xen.

 > (available system memory) : By default 4GB per virtual machine with tomcat.
Java using: 914mb
 >> Free memory on the virtual machine server: 2152

-- end of data --

Maybe a good idea right now would be to calm down, not panic, get a cup of coffee, sit
down, read what you have already been told, and think about it for a while before you
change any more parameters left and right.
And the same for your boss and the programmers.

Because right until now, you and your boss and the programmers are giving the impression
of a bunch of headless chicken running around in the control room of a nuclear power
plant, pressing (*) on any button that is available, to try an stop the alarm bell.
That is usually not the best way to avoid a melt-down.

First, if I may ask, from where did you get the java parameters that you are showing above ?

The only parameter which has a direct relationship with the issue that caused the error
(repeat: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space)
is this one :

 > -Xmx512m

which limits the Java Heap to 512 MB of memory, maximum.
And that does not seem to be enough, because you got an error "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Luciano Andress Martini [mailto:777user@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

You're top posting again - stop that.

> By default 4GB per virtual machine with tomcat.

But that's all funny money - how much _real_ memory is usable by each VM?  If the underlying hypervisor is swapping a VM's memory out (oversubscription), then you've got a serious problem.

> Now my boss talked with the developers and added a command to
> call the garbage colector

That's pointless in a properly configured system.  GC will run automatically whenever the heap gets full.  More evidence that you don't actually have enough real memory to handle the load.

> we find the bad guy, its a button, when we click then,
> the memory increases.

Which is true for any Java action - heap will be consumed until GC runs.  The behavior you observed is not necessarily indicative of a leak, but rather just an action that creates a lot of objects.

 - Chuck

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Luciano -

Sorry for opening a can of worms and disappearing, but I had to sit through a long meeting (aka useless).
I didn't say you definitely had a leak, but that it sounded typical of one.  It could just be that your memory allocation was undersized for the app(s) you are running.  Let it run a few days -- through a few more iterations of the "big job" -- and see if the OOM raises its ugly head again.  IF it doesn't you are probably fine.  Since you are running a 64-bit system, you have plenty of room to grow that -Xmx parameter if you need to.  I'd like to suggest you go back and re-read the Sun docs on Java memory parameters and maybe look into enabling JMX in Tomcat and using JConsole to actually watch the memory allocation cycles for a bit.  It is a useful tool, among many, for seeing if you've allocated memory correctly (you may find that 1Gig is way too big for your permgen).

As a fellow SA, I can sympathize with your predicament.  I run into the same attitudes regularly. I once got almost the exact same response from my lead developer (at the time) when I asked about memory leaks.  Since you know assembler & C, when Java creates a new Object or variable it does the equivalent of a malloc() for the memory to hold the data.  There is no equivalent of a free() call, though setting the object to null is as close as it gets (other "real" java developers can correct this if they have to).  If the object wasn't created as a static object or assigned to a static object, when the function it was created in exits, the object is marked for garbage collection (de-referenced) by the run machine. That is the automatic bit that your boss mentioned. So you can see, there are some points at which it could be quite easy for a programmer to insert a memory leak if he's not paying close attention.

<opinion>
From your description of the developer tools, it sounds like they are using a code generator to create the Java code.  In over 25 years of IT work, from both sides, I've yet to see a code generate that was "perfect".  I always take what they generate with a grain of salt.  Back in the really old days, code generators were only good as a starting point. Only use them if someone is available to review the code they generate occasionally. (I suspect libraries until proven, also.)
</opinion>

Finally, If you are using Tomcat 6.x or 7.x, check your Tomcat logs after an orderly shutdown or undeploy/redeploy.  If you have left the JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener in the server.xml, then it is possible that Tomcat itself might point out some leaked objects.  So far for me, it has only pointed out left over database driver implementations that my developers haven't de-registered.  Someone else on this list can probably tell you if it is helpful for simple object leaks.

Jeff

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Luciano Andress Martini
<77...@gmail.com> wrote:

> About the memory leak, I am saying that, not from a hour, but from the
> Genesis time here. ehhehehe.

Or as we used to say at Sun -- hardware breaks while you're using
it, software arrives already broken...   :-)

http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

> Java can have memory leaks just as easily as C can

Not really; leaks in C are much easier to create.

> if the app is standalone, it will release them when the app
> closes and the JRE shuts down.

That's true for C and any other language as well.

> if the app is running under tomcat, the JRE never shuts down
> since tomcat is using it.  That means the JRE can not free up
> memory that your app has left allocated, as it would be able
> to in a standalone app.

Although that's true, it's not really relevant.  Memory leaks in Java occur when some program logic hangs onto references it no longer needs (e.g., in a static HashMap).  These objects won't be discarded by the garbage collector since they are reachable - the program logic failed to remove them from the structure when it was done with them.  Restarting the webapp will release these objects.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.
See below....

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Pid, and André.

You remember me to ZZ Top, but solved my problem.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 27/01/2012 20:51, André Warnier wrote:
> Exactly.
> (this is responding to Pid)
>
> Pid wrote:
>> On 27/01/2012 17:54, Luciano Andress Martini wrote:
>>> -Xmx512m -Xmx1024 ?
>>
>> Please post your replies below the questions I asked.
>>
>> Someone reading this thread would see the first bit of this message and
>> wonder what it referred to.

I'm glad you agree.

[key:62590808]

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Exactly.
(this is responding to Pid)

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 27/01/2012 17:54, Luciano Andress Martini wrote:
> -Xmx512m -Xmx1024 ?

Please post your replies below the questions I asked.

Someone reading this thread would see the first bit of this message and
wonder what it referred to.

> 2012/1/27, Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>:
>> its 64 bits? How can i increase the object heap?

>>> So permgen is using 32Mb

>>> Cripes!  3.5Gb of PermGen space?!  I really doubt you want that.
>>>
>>> So your JVM is using 900Mb, your object heap is 512Mb.
>>>
>>> If you have more memory available, why not assign more to the heap?
>>> How much memory is available?
>>>
>>> Are you using 32bit or 64bit?

>>> --
>>>
>>> [key:62590808]

[key:62590808]

Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.
-Xmx512m -Xmx1024 ?

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 27/01/2012 16:29, Luciano Andress Martini wrote:
> I need to know if the error is from my part (server administrator),
> from the developer or from the hardware/vms. Some times that occurs
> when processing two milion of registry (i am talking from expressocard
> a company of credit cards).
>
> Its a rarely error because this processing occurs rarely.
>
> in fact, mysql in the another server with 12 processors, still
> running, and tomcat in a virtual machine called adm (in another
> physical machine, with 4 processors) still running.
>
> So, this errors occurs like that:
>
> 1- Tomcat started
> 2- This processing is realized ok in the first time
> 3- Tomcat stable in the users acess.
> 4- The processing is realized again, some days later, inn 98% of
> processing servers crashes, but mysql is still running.
> 5- Restar of tomcat service tomcat6 restart
> 6- the processing started again, and server can done the processing.
>
> In the moment of the crash:
> jstat -class
> Loaded  Bytes  Unloaded  Bytes     Time
>
>  15007 32265.0      300   505.9      12.11

So permgen is using 32Mb

> Java using: 914mb
> Free memory on the virtual machine server: 2152
>
> Java says:
> java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
> Java heap space at
> java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:232) at
> java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:91) at
> wfr.rules.WFRRule.execute(WFRRule.java:1820) at
> wfr.rules.WFRRule.execute(WFRRule.java:1792) at
> wfr.web.actions.ExecuteRuleAction.execute(ExecuteRuleAction.java:198)
> at wfr.web.Action.doAction(Action.java:126) at
> wfr.web.Controller.process(Controller.java:100) at
> wfr.web.Controller.doPost(Controller.java:67) at
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637) at
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717) at
> at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
> at wfr.web.ContextFilter.doFilter(ContextFilter.java:78) at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
> at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:470)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
> at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
> at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
> at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)
> at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
> at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662) Caused by:
>
> Java options (that i configurate)
> -Djava.awt.headless=true
> -Xmx512m
> -XX:MaxPermSize=3512M

Cripes!  3.5Gb of PermGen space?!  I really doubt you want that.

So your JVM is using 900Mb, your object heap is 512Mb.

If you have more memory available, why not assign more to the heap?
How much memory is available?

Are you using 32bit or 64bit?

> -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
> -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC