Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Sekhar Kosuru <ko...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/09 08:40:27 UTC

Reg: Restoring the Derby Database.

Hi,

I need to Restore the Derby Database when database is running.

But in my observation I found we can only restore in the first connection
(JDBC) after the database(Derby Network Server) boot up. If any another
connection already connected normally then we if we pass the
*restoreFrom *attribute
in connection string also it is not restoring.

Is this way only we can do the restore ?

Please help me in the same.

Regards
Sekhar.

Re: Reg: Restoring the Derby Database.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 7/8/13 11:40 PM, Sekhar Kosuru wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to Restore the Derby Database when database is running.
> But in my observation I found we can only restore in the first
> connection (JDBC) after the database(Derby Network Server) boot up. If
> any another connection already connected normally then we if we pass
> the *restoreFrom *attribute in connection string also it is not restoring.
> Is this way only we can do the restore ?
> Please help me in the same.
> Regards
> Sekhar.
Hi Sekhar,

In many databases (including Derby), database restoration is considered
to be a tool for disaster recovery. It is run only after a catastrophe,
when the database is unusable and no-one should be connected to it. Can
you explain the use-case you are trying to support by restoring on top
of an already functioning, usable database? Maybe there is a simpler
workaround for the problem you are trying to solve.

Thanks,
-Rick