Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> on 2007/09/08 18:58:58 UTC

Re: Sparse directories: State of the Onion

On 8/30/07, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> I recently reviewed all the remaining sparse directories stuff.  The
> quick summary:
>
> For one programmer, it would be about 2-4 weeks of work.  Luckily,
> it's very parallelizeable, so as long as we coordinate, we can
> systematically mop this stuff up.  Also, some things can maybe be
> deferred to after 1.5; not everything on the list is a showstopper.
>
> The detailed version:
>
> Here's a rundown on all the issues.  (I'm currently finishing #2882
> ['make commit --depth work'], and intend to spend some parallel time
> on #2846.  I'll start on #2844 right after that, which overlaps with
> some of the other issues.)
>
> Please post if there's anything important not on this list:

Backwards-compatibility testing!  My initial efforts in July revealed
some serious bugs (which we fixed); unfortunately, I got busy
finishing my thesis and moving to San Francisco and haven't finished
new-client-old-server test infrastructure, but given the bugs we
already found, I would be incredibly uncomfortable releasing 1.5
without a way to automatically verify behavior of old clients with new
servers and vice versa.

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: Sparse directories: State of the Onion

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Mark Phippard" <ma...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > svn up -r123 wc
>>
>> Mark, was this resolved?
>
> I believe they are still working on it.  Karl is definitely aware of it now.

Oh yes, he is.

Re: Sparse directories: State of the Onion

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 10/5/07, David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> wrote:
> On 9/11/07, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The good news is that the last time I checked, 1.4.x clients did pass
> > > all tests against trunk servers!  This was a few months ago, though.
> >
> > I have a scenario in issue 695 that does not work with older servers
> > when the WC is using sparse directories:
> >
> > svn up -r123 wc
>
> Mark, was this resolved?

I believe they are still working on it.  Karl is definitely aware of it now.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Sparse directories: State of the Onion

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On 9/11/07, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/11/07, David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > And vice versa, of course.
> >
> > The good news is that the last time I checked, 1.4.x clients did pass
> > all tests against trunk servers!  This was a few months ago, though.
>
> I have a scenario in issue 695 that does not work with older servers
> when the WC is using sparse directories:
>
> svn up -r123 wc

Mark, was this resolved?

--dave

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.