Posted to user@flink.apache.org by jelmer <jk...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/19 19:26:19 UTC

Flink 1.5 + resource elasticity resulting in overloaded workers

Hi, We recently upgraded to flink 1.6 and seem to be suffering from the
issue described in this email

Our workers have 8 slots and some workers are fully loaded and as a
consequence get to cope with heavy load during peak times. while other
workers sit completely idle. and have 0 jobs assigned to its slots

Is there any workaround for this . short of reducing the number of slots on
a worker ?

We need to have double the slots we need available in order to cope with
availability zone maintenance . So if we where to reduce the number of
slots we'd have to add new nodes that would then mostly sit idle

Re: Flink 1.5 + resource elasticity resulting in overloaded workers

Posted by jelmer <jk...@gmail.com>.
@flink comitters

I get that you don't want to be aware of task managers but would it make
sense to change SlotManager (I briefly looked over the code and i think
that's the code that is responsible for this)  to it randomly selects slots
? or add an option to make it do this if this is not something you would
want to do by default ?

It's not going to be perfect but at least you don't end always end up in a
better spot than you end up now in a standalone setup

Posted by Vishal Santoshi <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1.