Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Casey Lucas <cl...@armassolutions.com> on 2001/03/01 21:14:29 UTC

re-use of tag objects via Tag.release method

Looking at the rendered jsp -> java files in the work directory
(and noticing the calls to Tag.release), I realized that Jasper
is not reusing tags that it creates.  So, my question is:

Has there been any conversations about implementing tag
reuse in Jasper?

-Casey

Re: re-use of tag objects via Tag.release method

Posted by Pierre Delisle <pi...@sun.com>.
Casey Lucas wrote:
> Ok, I'll bite.  Where's the best place to start looking?
> Code that does the rendering?  Wasn't there at one point talk
> of making the renderer more "pluggable"?

Great!

Since you asked, here are some ideas:

As a first step, I'd make sure to clearly understand all the spec
says about tag reuse.

Then, I'd get acquainted with the tomcat generated servlet
code of various JSP pages that use tags. That will tell how access
to tags is currently architected in jasper. (I think it will be easier
than looking at the tags generator code itself, but if you're insterested
in seeing that code, check the Tag* files in org.apache.jasper.compiler.)

Finally, with all that knowledge, I'd come come up with ideas, rough designs,
etc... on how reuse could be implemented in Jasper.
I don't think any deep knowledge of Jasper code is required to get up to
here.

Use the list for help/feedback. Before long, you'll be the expert!

    -- Pierre

RE: re-use of tag objects via Tag.release method

Posted by Pierre Delisle <pi...@sun.com>.