You are viewing a plain text version of this content. The canonical link for it is here.
Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org> on 2013/04/06 19:04:50 UTC

Re: next hive release

Cool. We have made a good progress since we had this discussion. Windowing
and analytical functions are now in trunk. HCatalog merger is done, though
we are still working on finer details there. Hiveserver2 is stabilizing. I
think its a good time to branch to stabilize for next release. Unless
someone thinks otherwise, I will create a 0.11 branch in next few days.

Ashutosh



On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>
> On Mar 22, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Carl Steinbach wrote:
>
> > At one of the previous Hive Contributor meetings we agreed to do
> > time-based releases every four months. I still think this is a worthwhile
> > goal and strongly support releasing 0.11.0 soon.
> >
> > Question for the HCatalog developers: Is it feasible to have HCatalog
> ready
> > in time for an April release. If not, how should we handle this?
>
> I think we can have basic integration done by April 1, so Hive 0.11 will
> go out with hcat jars that work with it.
>
> Alan.
>
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Carl
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have just marked https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2264 as a
> >> blocker for the 0.11 release as it's essential for HS2 use. The patch is
> >> available, a committer has +1'd, it's just waiting on commit.
> >>
> >> It'd be great to get https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-4128in as
> >> well to support the new decimal type.
> >>
> >> Brock
> >>
> >>
> >> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Amir Sanjar <v1...@us.ibm.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>> I agree. Let me know how we can contribute towards accelerating this
> >>> process. We are anxiously waiting for release of HIVE 0.11.0
> >>>
> >>> Best Regards
> >>> Amir Sanjar
> >>>
> >>> System Management Architect
> >>> PowerLinux Open Source Hadoop development lead
> >>> IBM Senior Software Engineer
> >>> Phone# 512-286-8393
> >>> Fax#      512-838-8858
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> [image: Inactive hide details for Ashutosh Chauhan ---03/22/2013
> 01:32:40
> >>> PM---Hey all, Its not been long since we released 0.10 but a]Ashutosh
> >>> Chauhan ---03/22/2013 01:32:40 PM---Hey all, Its not been long since we
> >>> released 0.10 but a lot has gone in since then.
> >>>
> >>> From: Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>
> >>> To: dev@hive.apache.org,
> >>> Date: 03/22/2013 01:32 PM
> >>> Subject: next hive release
> >>> ------------------------------
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Hey all,
> >>>
> >>> Its not been long since we released 0.10 but a lot has gone in since
> >> then.
> >>> There are quite a few query plan optimizations which has gone in. Also,
> >>> ptf-windowing work is winding down and should be ready for merge in a
> >> week
> >>> or so. After the merge, I think it will be a good time to create a
> branch
> >>> for 0.11 and than start to stabilize it. I propose we cut the branch in
> >>> first week of April. What do other folks think?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks,
> >>> Ashutosh
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Apache MRUnit - Unit testing MapReduce -
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/mrunit/
> >>
>
>

Re: next hive release

Posted by Carl Steinbach <cw...@gmail.com>.
I tried building the 0.11.0 tarball and noticed that the hcatalog jar is
not included in the lib/ directory.

Also, I marked HIVE-4266 (hcatalog package names) as a blocker for 0.11.0.

Thanks.

Carl



On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>wrote:

> I have pushed 0.11 branch.
> Next piece of work is to test and stabilize it. Please try it out and
> report any bugs you may find.
>
> Ashutosh
>
>
> On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Ashutosh Chauhan <hashutosh@apache.org
> >wrote:
>
> > Cool. We have made a good progress since we had this discussion.
> Windowing
> > and analytical functions are now in trunk. HCatalog merger is done,
> though
> > we are still working on finer details there. Hiveserver2 is stabilizing.
> I
> > think its a good time to branch to stabilize for next release. Unless
> > someone thinks otherwise, I will create a 0.11 branch in next few days.
> >
> > Ashutosh
> >
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> On Mar 22, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Carl Steinbach wrote:
> >>
> >> > At one of the previous Hive Contributor meetings we agreed to do
> >> > time-based releases every four months. I still think this is a
> >> worthwhile
> >> > goal and strongly support releasing 0.11.0 soon.
> >> >
> >> > Question for the HCatalog developers: Is it feasible to have HCatalog
> >> ready
> >> > in time for an April release. If not, how should we handle this?
> >>
> >> I think we can have basic integration done by April 1, so Hive 0.11 will
> >> go out with hcat jars that work with it.
> >>
> >> Alan.
> >>
> >> >
> >> > Thanks.
> >> >
> >> > Carl
> >> >
> >> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Hi,
> >> >>
> >> >> I have just marked https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2264as
> >> a
> >> >> blocker for the 0.11 release as it's essential for HS2 use. The patch
> >> is
> >> >> available, a committer has +1'd, it's just waiting on commit.
> >> >>
> >> >> It'd be great to get
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-4128in as
> >> >> well to support the new decimal type.
> >> >>
> >> >> Brock
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Amir Sanjar <v1...@us.ibm.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >>> I agree. Let me know how we can contribute towards accelerating this
> >> >>> process. We are anxiously waiting for release of HIVE 0.11.0
> >> >>>
> >> >>> Best Regards
> >> >>> Amir Sanjar
> >> >>>
> >> >>> System Management Architect
> >> >>> PowerLinux Open Source Hadoop development lead
> >> >>> IBM Senior Software Engineer
> >> >>> Phone# 512-286-8393
> >> >>> Fax#      512-838-8858
> >> >>>
> >> >>>
> >> >>>
> >> >>> [image: Inactive hide details for Ashutosh Chauhan ---03/22/2013
> >> 01:32:40
> >> >>> PM---Hey all, Its not been long since we released 0.10 but
> a]Ashutosh
> >> >>> Chauhan ---03/22/2013 01:32:40 PM---Hey all, Its not been long since
> >> we
> >> >>> released 0.10 but a lot has gone in since then.
> >> >>>
> >> >>> From: Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>
> >> >>> To: dev@hive.apache.org,
> >> >>> Date: 03/22/2013 01:32 PM
> >> >>> Subject: next hive release
> >> >>> ------------------------------
> >> >>>
> >> >>>
> >> >>>
> >> >>> Hey all,
> >> >>>
> >> >>> Its not been long since we released 0.10 but a lot has gone in since
> >> >> then.
> >> >>> There are quite a few query plan optimizations which has gone in.
> >> Also,
> >> >>> ptf-windowing work is winding down and should be ready for merge in
> a
> >> >> week
> >> >>> or so. After the merge, I think it will be a good time to create a
> >> branch
> >> >>> for 0.11 and than start to stabilize it. I propose we cut the branch
> >> in
> >> >>> first week of April. What do other folks think?
> >> >>>
> >> >>> Thanks,
> >> >>> Ashutosh
> >> >>>
> >> >>>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> --
> >> >> Apache MRUnit - Unit testing MapReduce -
> >> >> http://incubator.apache.org/mrunit/
> >> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
>

Re: next hive release

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
I have pushed 0.11 branch.
Next piece of work is to test and stabilize it. Please try it out and
report any bugs you may find.

Ashutosh


On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>wrote:

> Cool. We have made a good progress since we had this discussion. Windowing
> and analytical functions are now in trunk. HCatalog merger is done, though
> we are still working on finer details there. Hiveserver2 is stabilizing. I
> think its a good time to branch to stabilize for next release. Unless
> someone thinks otherwise, I will create a 0.11 branch in next few days.
>
> Ashutosh
>
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> On Mar 22, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Carl Steinbach wrote:
>>
>> > At one of the previous Hive Contributor meetings we agreed to do
>> > time-based releases every four months. I still think this is a
>> worthwhile
>> > goal and strongly support releasing 0.11.0 soon.
>> >
>> > Question for the HCatalog developers: Is it feasible to have HCatalog
>> ready
>> > in time for an April release. If not, how should we handle this?
>>
>> I think we can have basic integration done by April 1, so Hive 0.11 will
>> go out with hcat jars that work with it.
>>
>> Alan.
>>
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Carl
>> >
>> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I have just marked https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2264 as
>> a
>> >> blocker for the 0.11 release as it's essential for HS2 use. The patch
>> is
>> >> available, a committer has +1'd, it's just waiting on commit.
>> >>
>> >> It'd be great to get https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-4128in as
>> >> well to support the new decimal type.
>> >>
>> >> Brock
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Amir Sanjar <v1...@us.ibm.com>
>> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> I agree. Let me know how we can contribute towards accelerating this
>> >>> process. We are anxiously waiting for release of HIVE 0.11.0
>> >>>
>> >>> Best Regards
>> >>> Amir Sanjar
>> >>>
>> >>> System Management Architect
>> >>> PowerLinux Open Source Hadoop development lead
>> >>> IBM Senior Software Engineer
>> >>> Phone# 512-286-8393
>> >>> Fax#      512-838-8858
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> [image: Inactive hide details for Ashutosh Chauhan ---03/22/2013
>> 01:32:40
>> >>> PM---Hey all, Its not been long since we released 0.10 but a]Ashutosh
>> >>> Chauhan ---03/22/2013 01:32:40 PM---Hey all, Its not been long since
>> we
>> >>> released 0.10 but a lot has gone in since then.
>> >>>
>> >>> From: Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>
>> >>> To: dev@hive.apache.org,
>> >>> Date: 03/22/2013 01:32 PM
>> >>> Subject: next hive release
>> >>> ------------------------------
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> Hey all,
>> >>>
>> >>> Its not been long since we released 0.10 but a lot has gone in since
>> >> then.
>> >>> There are quite a few query plan optimizations which has gone in.
>> Also,
>> >>> ptf-windowing work is winding down and should be ready for merge in a
>> >> week
>> >>> or so. After the merge, I think it will be a good time to create a
>> branch
>> >>> for 0.11 and than start to stabilize it. I propose we cut the branch
>> in
>> >>> first week of April. What do other folks think?
>> >>>
>> >>> Thanks,
>> >>> Ashutosh
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Apache MRUnit - Unit testing MapReduce -
>> >> http://incubator.apache.org/mrunit/
>> >>
>>
>>
>