Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Monah Baki <mo...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/24 22:47:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache reverse proxy setting

Hi all,

I have a centos server running apache 2.4.6 in reverse proxy mode, and I
have another backend server running https (used letsencrypt) for the certs
I changed my DNS A record www pointing to the IP address of the reverse
proxy.

http works fine.
https works somewhat (I see the IP address of the reverse proxy and not the
IP address of the backend server)

Not sure if it's possible, but I want to keep the ssl certs on the backend
server and want to just redirect both http and https to the backend server
on the reverse proxy, is it possible?
Don't think the owners of the backend will be happy giving me their private
keys.

My httpd.conf file consists
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName <FQDN>
SSLProxyEngine On
SSLProxyCheckPeerName off
SSLProxyCheckPeerExpire On
# ProxyPreserveHost On
ProxyPass / http://<backendIP/
ProxyPassReverse / http://backendIP/

Thanks and any links or help is greatly appreciated

Monah

Re: [users@httpd] Apache reverse proxy setting

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
> Not sure if it's possible, but I want to keep the ssl certs on the backend server and want to just redirect both http and https to the backend server on the reverse proxy, is it possible?

It's not possible with any reverse proxy. By definition, it's going to
handshake w/ the client using its own certificate.