Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Springer, Ian P." <ia...@hp.com> on 2004/12/01 00:26:08 UTC

getting new Apollo and Muse projects integrated into Gump

Hi,

I'm a committer on two new Web Services projects that are currently in
incubation - apollo and muse. Both projects have Maven-based builds.
I've generated Gump project descriptors using the Maven gump plugin and
checked them into each project:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/apollo/trunk/gump.xml
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/muse/trunk/gump.xml

What are the next steps, if any, that are necessary?

Thanks!
Ian

Re: getting new Apollo and Muse projects integrated into Gump

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> Taking
> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/apollo/trunk/gump.xml> as
> an example (I didn't notice it had a <maven> tag before you said so) I
> see two problems to start with
>
> * <cvs> is broken.  Should be
>   <svn repository="apache-incubator-svn" dir="apollo/trunk"/>.

Ok, we haven't done a full set of svn testing. Thanks for pointing this out.

> * Project name mappings are bogus (jakarta-ant, jakarta-log4j,
>   xml-axis).

Yep, this is a known issue, though I thought all these still resolved
to the correct one eventually.

- Brett

Re: getting new Apollo and Muse projects integrated into Gump

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Both projects have Maven-based builds.  I've generated Gump
>> > project descriptors using the Maven gump plugin
>>
>> This shouldn't be necessary
>
> The Maven gump plugin generates a <maven/> element now.

I didn't know that.  Great.

> If for any reason it is not doing a good enough job, I'm happy to
> accept JIRA issues for the next release.

Taking
<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/apollo/trunk/gump.xml> as
an example (I didn't notice it had a <maven> tag before you said so) I
see two problems to start with

* <cvs> is broken.  Should be
  <svn repository="apache-incubator-svn" dir="apollo/trunk"/>.

* Project name mappings are bogus (jakarta-ant, jakarta-log4j,
  xml-axis).

>> Ant plugin (at least commonly used versions) are rather broken in
>> my experience.
>
> The ant plugin does as good a job as it can do without
> reimplementing the entirety of Maven in ant. It's not broken, just
> not complete.

The versions I refered to are those that create absolute machine
specific paths in properties so that the build file won't work on any
other machine.  I know it has been fixed, but still quite a few people
use older versions 8-)

Stefan

Re: getting new Apollo and Muse projects integrated into Gump

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> > Both projects have Maven-based builds.  I've generated Gump project
> > descriptors using the Maven gump plugin
>
> This shouldn't be necessary

The Maven gump plugin generates a <maven/> element now. It is the best
and recommended way to do it. If for any reason it is not doing a good
enough job, I'm happy to accept JIRA issues for the next release.

> and you probably better don't do so since
> the plugin as well as the Ant plugin (at least commonly used versions)
> are rather broken in my experience.

The ant plugin does as good a job as it can do without reimplementing
the entirety of Maven in ant. It's not broken, just not complete.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: getting new Apollo and Muse projects integrated into Gump

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ian,

Please rework the 2 xml's following the pattern set up by grafolia AND
commit them directly to gump's CVS (yes, u should have karma for that)

-- dims

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi Ian,

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ian,

the gump descriptors/metadata is in cvs (do a cvs checkout of the gump
module). I added 2 lines in profile/gump.xml for Apollo and Hermes.
take a look at other xml's of other projects under project directory
and enhance your gump descriptors if necessary.

Thanks,
dims