Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jhsachs <jh...@sbcglobal.net> on 2008/04/20 16:39:04 UTC

AllowOverride Limit should let me use Order in .htaccess?

I am trying to enable mod_rewrite, and the results I'm getting do not make
sense to me.  I'm not very familiar with Apache configuration , and I hope
that somebody more experienced can help me figure out what is going on.

The environment is Windows XP, Apache 2.2.8, PHP 5.2.5.  The application I
am running is Drupal 6.2.

I made the following changes to httpd.conf in the conf directory:

1. Uncommented the "LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so"
directive.

2. In a &lt;Directory&gt; block that refers to the Apache document root (the
immediate parent of the application directory), changed "AllowOverride None"
to "AllowOverride Limit".

When I restarted Apache and tried to run the application it would not run,
and I got an Apache alert (in the error log) which said,
"applicationdirectory/.htaccess: order not allowed here".

When I changed "AllowOverride Limit" to "AllowOverride All", Apache ran the
application without complaint.

There is a .htaccess file in the application directory, and it does contain
an Order directive.  But why does Apache object to this when "AllowOverride
Limit" is in effect?  If I understand the function of AllowOverwrite
correctly, that is the option that authorizes Order directives in the
.htaccess file.  (See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#allowoverride&nbsp;.)

Since "AllowOverride All" takes me where I want to go, I have a one sense
solved my own problem.  As a matter of good practice, though, I want to
grant .htaccess the most restrictive permission that will permit it to do
what it must do, and "All" is not it.

Re: AllowOverride Limit should let me use Order in .htaccess?

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 20 Apr 2008, at 15:39, jhsachs wrote:

> I am trying to enable mod_rewrite, and the results I'm getting do
> not make
> sense to me.  I'm not very familiar with Apache configuration , and
> I hope
> that somebody more experienced can help me figure out what is going
> on.
>
> The environment is Windows XP, Apache 2.2.8, PHP 5.2.5.  The
> application I
> am running is Drupal 6.2.
>
> I made the following changes to httpd.conf in the conf directory:
>
> 1. Uncommented the "LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so"
> directive.
>
> 2. In a &lt;Directory&gt; block that refers to the Apache document
> root (the
> immediate parent of the application directory), changed
> "AllowOverride None"
> to "AllowOverride Limit".
>
> When I restarted Apache and tried to run the application it would
> not run,
> and I got an Apache alert (in the error log) which said,
> "applicationdirectory/.htaccess: order not allowed here".
>
> When I changed "AllowOverride Limit" to "AllowOverride All", Apache
> ran the
> application without complaint.
>
> There is a .htaccess file in the application directory, and it does
> contain
> an Order directive.  But why does Apache object to this when
> "AllowOverride
> Limit" is in effect?  If I understand the function of AllowOverwrite
> correctly, that is the option that authorizes Order directives in the
> .htaccess file.  (See
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#allowoverride&nbsp;.)
>
> Since "AllowOverride All" takes me where I want to go, I have a one
> sense
> solved my own problem.  As a matter of good practice, though, I want
> grant .htaccess the most restrictive permission that will permit it
> to do
> what it must do, and "All" is not it.

Hi there!

looks like you've this email has been sent to the wrong list - I think
you're looking for the httpd user list - http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html
  ?

cheers,

Rob