Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Good Guy <xf...@hotmail.com> on 2014/04/21 16:43:16 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Apache 2.4 - non adoption reasons??

On 10/04/2014 18:43, Joey J wrote:
> Apache 2.4 has had a stable release out for over 2 years but is only
> used by 2.5% of active Apache sites.   Why is the adoption so low?? The
> Apache foundation has been recommending upgrading to 2.4 for some time
> and looking at the improvements I see significant value in several.  I
> don't see any reason why anybody wouldn't want to use it but the
> community seems to think it's bad.
>
> What am I missing??
>
> Current market share:
> http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/ws-apache/2.4/all
>
>   -Joey J

The upgrade process isn't simple for most Open Source products and so
uptake of upgrades is very slow despite being FREE.

With Microsoft products, the uptake is high because the upgrade process
is very simple and people are prepared to try it and decide to stay with it.

With Open Source, something must be done with backwards compatibility
for products to be readily acceptable in the market place.  I try all
new upgrades for Apache, PHP, MySQL etc but I am using them as a hobby
and for learning purpose so that when contracts demand latest knowledge
then I am ready for them.