Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com> on 2006/07/24 11:27:44 UTC

Re: svn commit: r424855 [1/3] - in /forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo: ./ resources/stylesheets/ src/documentation/content/ src/documentation/content/svn-log/ src/documentation/content/xdocs/

El lun, 24-07-2006 a las 13:36 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> > Author: thorsten
> > Date: Sun Jul 23 16:26:19 2006
> > New Revision: 424855

> > Log:
> > Adding support for svn log files to the project plugin. This work is based on the
> > svn support which we have over in Lenya. The biggest problem with the lenya way was
> > till now that we had one big log file that included 4 years of commits and building
> > the file took more then 30 min. To overcome this problem I extended the project plugin
> > with svn log processing which gives handy ways of creating smaller files and have a
> > per month view of the svn changes.
>
> I hope that this is being kind to the SVN server.
> Not yet looked at the code but the following command
> run on the root of a project's svn as the default shows
> could cause undue load.
>
> -David
>
> +      <p>We implemented as well a small svn cli output to generate log files
> +        per month <a href="log.svn-sh.xml">log.svn-sh.xml</a>. The defaut url is set to
> +        <code>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest</code> and you can change it
> +        by setting <code>project.svn.url</code> in your project
> +        locationmap.</p>

If you look at the code and the provided examples your concerns get
vanished.

The normal round trip (that I took for implementing this feature and the
example in the plugin and on lenya) is that you do once (!!!)
cd forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo
svn log --xml -v . > src/documentation/content/svn-log/log.svn.xml

This gives you all logs, the result of the log.svn-sh.xml is just a copy
and paste master (not executed!) if you want to split this log into
smaller logs. The result is something like:

svn log -r 411659:411659 --xml -v
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo > 2006-06.svn.xml
svn log -r 399654:410437 --xml -v http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo > 2006-05.svn.xml
svn log -r 392649:392649 --xml -v http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo > 2006-04.svn.xml

This cli commands as well are designed to be executed only once and the
files are then placed into the src/documentation/conte nt/svn-log
directory. Then there is no further communication to the svn server
(actually there is never direct communication between the svn server and
the plugin).

You can see the result of such monthly commit overview on
http://lenya.apache.org/ under the section changes. e.g.
http://lenya.apache.org/tlp-2006-06.svn.html

The reduced svn communication is one big enhancement between this commit
and the way we did it before in Lenya.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lenya/docu/src/documentation/content/xdocs/community/website-update.xml?r1=424850&r2=424849&pathrev=424850
"...
- <li>run <code>svn log -v --xml http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya >
log.xml</code> in the root of the docu branch. This might take a while
as the log file is several MB in size.</li>
+ <li>run <code>svn log -v $LAST:HEAD --xml
+   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya >
+   src/documentation/content/svn-log/tlp-HEAD.svn.xml</code> in the root
+   of the docu branch. Where $LAST is the revision number of the last commit from the last month.</li>"

Do we want the svn changes per month as well in forrest site-author?

I volunteer to setup the basic infrastructure (it so easy since this commit).

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > > David Crossley escribi??:

> > > If you look at the code and the provided examples your concerns get
> > > vanished.
> >
> > You say above that the "default' is the root of the
> > forrest repository. So the default would get the
> > whole log history for all of forrest trunk, all of every
> > old branch, all of forrest site, etc.
>
> No, didn't you read my mail? That is not true!
>
> > Please use a more sensible default.
>
> Why? See above your observation are not correct.

I see that you changed those defaults at r425478. Thanks.

-David

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.

El lun, 24-07-2006 a las 11:27 +0200, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> (actually there is never direct communication between the svn server
> and
> the plugin).

There is *no* communication between svn and the server, but if you think
there should be a more sensible default then please set it (IMO the
current one is good as gold).

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler