Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brandie Nickey <BN...@astrixinc.com.INVALID> on 2024/03/11 16:34:34 UTC

Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Hi all,

I have a COTS webapp using Tomcat 8.0.43 and Java 1.8.0_121.  I have been trying to find out where to configure outbound smtp messages to use only TLS1.2.  I've found plenty of info on the https using TLS1.2 and have configured that just fine in server.xml file and in the Java tab of the tomcatw.exe file, but that doesn't seem to be applying to the emails outgoing from the webapp.   Anyone have any ideas? (Also upgrading is not an option as this tomcat/java combo is the only one supported by the vendor for our webapp version).

Thank you!
Brandie

RE: Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Brandie Nickey <BN...@astrixinc.com.INVALID>.
Thanks so much for the guidance.  Have a call with the vendor in about an hour to discuss - my fear is that the TLS 1.0 was hard coded somewhere but will take the info provided and see what they say.  Cheers!

Posted by Robert Turner <rt...@e-djuster.ca.INVALID>.
You can define Java properties in one of the Tomcat files
(catalina.properties I believe), albeit it may depend on the OS /
deployment for your specific instance as some use different loaders -- the
default scripts "catalina.sh/bat" will use that file, but
some distributions load Tomcat differently.

RE: Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Brandie Nickey <BN...@astrixinc.com.INVALID>.

Re: AW: Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it.INVALID>.
LOL....

but to be honest we encountered the issue after moving from JDK 1.7 to
JDK 1.8 without changing the  SMTP server

AW: Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Jost Richstein <jr...@softdecc.com>.

Re: Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it.INVALID>.

Re: Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Robert Turner <rt...@e-djuster.ca.INVALID>.

AW: Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Jost Richstein <jr...@softdecc.com>.
Hi,

RE: [OT] Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Brandie Nickey <BN...@astrixinc.com.INVALID>.
Update!  The fix was indeed to replace the out of date java mail jar (1.5) with the newest Jakarta mail jar file.  Thanks everyone for the help!

Brandie

(Marking this [OT] as it's not really a Tomcat question.)

On 3/11/24 12:34, Brandie Nickey wrote:
> I have a COTS webapp using Tomcat 8.0.43 and Java 1.8.0_121.  I have
> been trying to find out where to configure outbound smtp messages to
> use only TLS1.2.  I've found plenty of info on the https using TLS1.2
> and have configured that just fine in server.xml file and in the Java
> tab of the tomcatw.exe file, but that doesn't seem to be applying to
> the emails outgoing from the webapp.   Anyone have any ideas? (Also
> upgrading is not an option as this tomcat/java combo is the only one
> supported by the vendor for our webapp version).

Assuming that you are using JavaMail for your email, I assembled a whole lot of properties that can be fed to JavaMail when making SMTP connections and documented them here:

https://github.com/ChristopherSchultz/java-email/blob/main/src/main/resources/mail.properties

It's been a very long time since I looked at that code, but if you look at the code for Mailer.java in that project, you should be able to see how the properties are used to establish a Transport (aka connection) and Session.

Most of the properties are passed-through to Session.getDefaultInstance(Properties).

-chris

Re: [OT] Tomcat SMPT TLS1.2

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Brandie,