Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Katie Knish <kn...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/23 21:05:24 UTC

Hello!

Hi everyone!

My name is Katie Knish, and I just signed up to be on the documentation
team. My background is mostly in editing (largely within the sciences and
medical communications, with some fiction and advertising thrown in years
ago). I just did a JavaScript bootcamp over the summer after teaching
myself other coding topics for a couple years, and I've long been a fan of
OpenOffice and of the collaborative nature of open source.

I've been interested in diving into technical writing for a while now but
am unsure where to start. My writing and editing skills are strong, as is
my ability to distill complex topics into materials appropriate for a range
of audiences, and I'd love to help out in any way I can!

Thanks! I hope everyone's having a good Monday.

Katie

Re: Hello!

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 11/23/2020 4:05 PM, Katie Knish wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> My name is Katie Knish, and I just signed up to be on the documentation
> team. My background is mostly in editing (largely within the sciences and
> medical communications, with some fiction and advertising thrown in years
> ago). I just did a JavaScript bootcamp over the summer after teaching
> myself other coding topics for a couple years, and I've long been a fan of
> OpenOffice and of the collaborative nature of open source.
>
> I've been interested in diving into technical writing for a while now but
> am unsure where to start. My writing and editing skills are strong, as is
> my ability to distill complex topics into materials appropriate for a range
> of audiences, and I'd love to help out in any way I can!
>
> Thanks! I hope everyone's having a good Monday.
>
> Katie

Greetings Katie;

First, please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. With my
grandchildren's school abruptly switching back to complete on-line
learning and the Thanksgiving holiday my schedule has been out of wack.

Currently we do our user documentation and our developer documentation
on our media wiki (mwiki). It is not a difficult input method, and there
are a lot of templates that can be used as shortcuts. These can be found
at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Wiki_Editing_Policy#List_of_Existing_Documentation_Templates.
That entire document is worth studying as it lays out the general style
rules for documentation done on the mwiki. Need for the 4.1.x
documentation line is making sure that at least the common data and the
Writer and Calc Guides are complete and align with Apache OpenOffice®
(AOO)Version 4.1.8. This can be done bye simply installing AOO from
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html and then going through
the steps in each wiki entry and making sure that the step by step
instructions match what actually shows in the Version 4.1.8 applications.

For our next minor release I would like to start using Writer files as
the source files for all documentation and storing them in the projects
Git Repository so they are under strict revision control. This is still
a work in progress, but I would like to start with at least the Getting
Started and Writer Guides for AOO 4.2.0.

In the next few days I will be finalizing the Proposal Document that
will be sent to this list for reviews and then to dev@ for final review
and acceptance.

I will not kid you the work will be slow as many of the volunteers to do
documentation have left for one reason or another. I am hoping that this
new process will bring some of them back as well as attract new people.

I always monitor this list and will answer any questions or concerns
that you may have and work closely with you and other members to get
some solid documentation done for the project.

Regards
Keith

Re: Hello!

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 11/23/2020 4:05 PM, Katie Knish wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> My name is Katie Knish, and I just signed up to be on the documentation
> team. My background is mostly in editing (largely within the sciences and
> medical communications, with some fiction and advertising thrown in years
> ago). I just did a JavaScript bootcamp over the summer after teaching
> myself other coding topics for a couple years, and I've long been a fan of
> OpenOffice and of the collaborative nature of open source.
>
> I've been interested in diving into technical writing for a while now but
> am unsure where to start. My writing and editing skills are strong, as is
> my ability to distill complex topics into materials appropriate for a range
> of audiences, and I'd love to help out in any way I can!
>
> Thanks! I hope everyone's having a good Monday.
>
> Katie

Katie;

Have you had a chance to read the proposal document I sent earlier this
week on adopting a new way of doing the Documentation using Writer
rather than writing them direct on the mwiki. I would like as many
people from this list to review it.

Any questions you may have about the proposal or getting started using
the current system please drop a note to the list and we will help you
to get comfortable.

Regards
Keith

Re: Hello!

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Francis, all,

Until the Wiki Publisher gets uploaded to our extension site, it can be
found here:

https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/wiki-publisher.oxt

Please test, I was able to do basic stuff, but in general everything
should work now.

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Hello!