Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1995/06/21 06:54:18 UTC

found it!

Okay, file desciptors leak when

a) the parent is sent a kill -HUP, and the children respawn - there is
suddenly another fd pointing to the main access log in each child.  I
have cron send a kill -HUP to the parent every 15 minutes to refresh the
children - over time (like clockwork! :) this was increasing the number
of fd's.  Only kill -9 on the parent frees these.

b) a connection is "lost" - in netscape, this when one page is being
accessed and you jump to another page before it's loading.  Netscape must
do a different type of disconnect in this circumstance than when you hit
the stop button, which doesn't cause an fd leak.

The first is the most important one to squish.  I'll try looking for
that, hopefully someone who knows the code better will beat me to it :)

	Brian