Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by chad kellerman <ck...@alabanza.com> on 2002/03/01 13:33:58 UTC

Just trying to get things stright...

Good morning, afternoon, and evening,

     Just one little clarification.

  If I want apache to handle all html, php, cgi requests, I use:

               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>

in my server.xml file.

   And if I want the web_app module to handle "java" request I use:

<Connector classname="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
                         enableLookups="false" acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

????

    I am having trouble distinguishing the difference between the Connectors and how Apache handles html requests as compared to "java" requests.

Thanks
-chad

RE: Just trying to get things stright...

Posted by Mike Millson <mg...@atsga.com>.
No, I don't think you can get Apache to do anything from inside server.xml.
That file only impacts the configuration of Tomcat. The HttpConnector
settings basically says "Tomcat will handle http requests on port 8080." The
WarpConnector settings basically say "Tomcat will handle Warp requests on
port 8008."

Apache is UPSTREAM of Tomcat, so if you want to integrate Tomcat into
Apache, you have to change your Apache settings in the httpd.conf file.

What Apache can do is look at the URL of the request and determine based on
the URL how it gets processed. In httpd.conf you can set up URL patterns
that tell Apache which request get forwarded to Tomcat using the Warp
connector. (The README file that comes w/ Tomcat explains how to do this,
plus many other places.).

Mike