Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/05/03 05:55:19 UTC

Ideas for Installer 3.0.1 (was Re: [DRAFT] Installer 3.0 Announcement)

On 5/2/14 7:26 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>The Flex JS and Flex 4.12 SDK error rate > 50% on windows with the new
>installer btw, with mac it's 15% (still rather high in my option). It
>would be nice if we could improve that. (For FlexJS it's 117 failures/98
>success on windows, for 4.12.0 47 failures/46 success on windows.) Once
>the new installer is out if the rate holds we be getting 100+ failures a
>day and we're still not 100% sure what the issue is on windows -
>permissions and/or AIR using IE (and not default browser) to download are
>possible candidates.

I was going to start a new thread after the Installer was truly out the
door, but since you've already started. . .

For me, I don't have to do anything special on Windows to run the
installer, probably because I have admin rights.  Assuming folks don't
have admin rights and need them, what changes should we make to the
installer to handle this?  We don't know the destination folder until
screen 2.  Could we do a quick write test at that point?

One user reported error #2032 which is a stream error.  I was unable to
reproduce it without disabling my network connection, but I'm already
using IE11 which doesn't have an offline mode.  I'm wondering if it can
simply be caused by some glitch in the connection.  We've already seen a
couple of bad downloads as well.  I'm wondering if we'd have better
success if we put copies of the sdk-installer-config-4.0.xml file in other
places and build in some redundancy.  If the installer gets a #2032 trying
to get the xml file from flex.a.o, it will try a set of other places.  One
such place could actually be the mirrors.  I wonder if the total time to
get the file off the mirror would be better than getting it from flex.a.o
for folks far away from the US.  Another option is to put the file on a
CDN.

At minimum, I think we want to try to add a param to the tracking URL
about what stage the installer was at when it failed?

Timing-wise, the FlexJS 0.0.2 install script now tries to download the
Flex and Falcon dependencies from the mirrors (assuming you've specified
the latest versions).  However, I had to fix a bug in the ant_on_air code
to get that to work, so we'll need to roll an Installer 3.0.1 with FlexJS
0.0.2 which I'd like to get out "soon" after we explore enhancements to
the tool chain for producing Cordova apps and apps that wrap other
frameworks.  FlexJS 0.0.1 also had a Windows bug in the cross-compile
batch scripts that everyone on Windows is hitting, so there is a bit of a
rush to get that out of people's way.

Anything else we should add to the installer?

-Alex

RE: Re:RE: Ideas for Installer 3.0.1 (was Re: [DRAFT] Installer 3.0 Announcement)

Posted by ma...@usmc.mil.
It looks fine.

-Mark

Posted by DarkStone <da...@163.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Standard Windows users don't have write permissions to all directories in
Windows Vista and beyond (similar to OSX, and other systems).  For example,
the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories are off-limits for
normal users (and this would be a common place people would want to extract
the SDK if they have Flash Builder 4.6 or 4.7).

The big difference is that in Windows XP and below, it was almost always
common for users to work with admin privileges..  Vista changed that and
forced most users to work as standard users.

That's why I'm saying that we should check to see if we can write to the
directory and either inform the user, or escalate the app's privilege so we
do. If the user selects a directory they have write permissions for, then
we would never need admin rights.

-Nick

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On May 3, 2014 8:51 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> Is it the choice of directory that causes the issue? And is not
required
> > if people don't try to install in a privileged place?
> >
> > Yes, that is the case.
>
> So the easy solution would be to try and write a file to the selected
directory and if it fails ask the user to select another directory and/or
run as admin?

I think that should work.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, no CDN for Apache.  I'd seriously consider paying for this one small
file to be hosted on a CDN if it made a difference in responsiveness.

Another potential improvement is around checksumming the AIR and other
downloads.  Bad downloads seems to be the next most common problem.  IIRC
the AIR and player checkums sometimes change when Adobe pushes some minor
update to that version's SDK.  Would we need to run some task to
constantly update the checksums?  Could we do that as a Jenkins task?

-Alex

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
My only worry about putting the XML file on DIST is that it does break the
realm of trust (some nefarious mirror could modify this file to download a
modified version of the SDK).  I'm assuming that we hard-coded the CRC

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,