Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org> on 2017/07/04 18:00:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] FLIP-22: Eager State Declaration

Hi Flink devs!

I would like to propose the following FLIP - Eager State Declaration for Flink managed state: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-22%3A+Eager+State+Declaration.
The proposal is a result of some offline discussions with Aljoscha Krettek, Stephan Ewen, and Stefan Richter.

With how the current managed state declaration interfaces work, users may declare state lazily while jobs are running.
This behavior is a direct blocker for several state management features we wish to make a reality in the future.
I also see it as an opportunity to make the interfaces for keyed / operator managed state declarations more unified at the API level, as well as improved user experience for general use cases.

The most important part of the required changes is the deprecation of existing APIs and introducing new state declaration interfaces.
Since this would be a rework of the state interfaces, it would be great to hear thoughts on this and make sure that the proposal is what we want in the long run!

Happy to hear feedback on this :)

Cheers,
Gordon

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-22: Eager State Declaration

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks for the proposal I definitely see the value in making eager
registration as a requirement for several features that you mentioned
(mostly related to state serialization/format etc.).

The only problem I see which has been mentioned by others is that the lack
of lazy (dynamic) state registration might be a blocker for some complex
application logic. In these cases users would have to register more generic
state types at initialization than otherwise necessary making the programs
less efficient.

Maybe it would still make sense to support lazy state registration but not
allow migration of these states in the future? On the other hand I dont
feel very strongly about this as the eager registration should cover most
use-cases with workarounds for the more complex cases.

Gyula

SHI Xiaogang <sh...@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2017. júl. 5.,
Sze, 4:36):

Posted by SHI Xiaogang <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tzu-Li,

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-22: Eager State Declaration

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,

First of all, I like the idea of eagerly defined state for user functions, this makes for very nice API, as can be seen in the Beam state API. I also agree with previous posters that completely banning lazy state makes certain use cases very tricky to implement, basically putting the burden of lazy state evaluation on the user by forcing them to use a generic MapState where they manually keep track of lazily allocated new state types. (Or some such thing.)

With this out of the way, I have some remarks on the new APIs:

What would be the fate of this style of method for getting state on KeyedStateBackend:

<N, S extends State> S getPartitionedState(
      N namespace,
      TypeSerializer<N> namespaceSerializer,
      StateDescriptor<S, ?> stateDescriptor) throws Exception;

This is used, for example by the WindowOperator to retrieve state. The issue is that the WindowOperator is not actually aware of the type of state, it just needs to know that it is an AppendingState so that it can put elements into state and retrieve them when firing. This is used for supporting different kinds of windows (with ListState, ReducingState, FoldingState, and AggregatingState) without having extra code in the WindowOperator for that.

How would registering a state that uses a function work with the annotation-based user API, I think this is problematic:

@KeyedState(
    stateId = “reducing-state",
    typeSerializerFactory = MySerializer.class,
    function = ?
)
private ReducingState<MyPojo> reducingState

The reason why this is problematic is that annotations only allow constants as parameters and in Flink users usually specify objects (anonymous inner, or lambda functions) when specifying a user function. Also, we cannot have a generic type here, so there’s no way of using Java type checking for verifying that a user specifies a ReduceFunction<T> for a ReducingState<T>.

As a side note, Beam is getting around this problem by only putting the state name in the annotation and the rest in a state spec, like this:

@StateId(“stateId”)
private final StateSpec<CombiningState<Double, CountSum<Double>, Double>> combiningState =
    StateSpecs.combining(new Mean.CountSumCoder<Double>(), Mean.<Double>of());

What do you think?

Best,
Aljoscha

Posted by hzyuemeng1 <hz...@corp.netease.com>.