Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/10 05:57:41 UTC

Back end volume names in KVM

Does anyone have any reservations about changing the volume identifier in
KVM's volume creation command to be the uuid of the volume? Currently for
new volumes it generates a random uuid and passes that back to be stored in
the database. From an admin perspective, the only way to link a volume on
the back end (be it a qcow2 image or an LVM volume) to one as reported is
to look in the DB and see what this 'secondary uuid' is and look for THAT
as the filename/image name on the back end. It would simply remove a layer
of translating uuid to another hidden uuid to get file/volume name.

It shouldn't disrupt or change current volumes, just new ones.

The only caveat I can think of so far is if we wanted multiple files/images
on the back end to map to one volume, but I don't see that as a blocker
since it would probably have lots of other implications to the tracking
volume objects.

Re: Back end volume names in KVM

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
OK, now I'm really replying to this e-mail thread. :)

I think this is a good idea, Marcus. It gets rid of an unnecessary
translation step.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
I'm sorry!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Done. Tested root/data disks for CLVM, local, NFS.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: Back end volume names in KVM

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.
On 10-Oct-2013, at 9:27 AM, Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any reservations about changing the volume identifier in
> KVM's volume creation command to be the uuid of the volume? Currently for
> new volumes it generates a random uuid and passes that back to be stored in
> the database. From an admin perspective, the only way to link a volume on
> the back end (be it a qcow2 image or an LVM volume) to one as reported is
> to look in the DB and see what this 'secondary uuid' is and look for THAT
> as the filename/image name on the back end. It would simply remove a layer
> of translating uuid to another hidden uuid to get file/volume name.

The 'uuid' field in volumes table was added later on. Since previously there was no uuid for a volume it was done that way.
+1 for the change.