Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2011/05/01 06:57:54 UTC

Re: Patents and contributions in Contributor License Agreement

2011/4/28 David Grünbaum <dv...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently conduction a master thesis on Android Open Source Project, and as a law student I am studying the legal aspects of the project.
> My question is how to interpret the Contributor License Agreement? It uses the same wording as the one provided by the Apache foundation and that is why I feel that this forum might be the right place to answer my questions.
>

> Can a small bug fix imply a patent license?

Can a small bug fix implement a patent (or cause a patent to be implemented)?

I suspect you're more qualified to answer those than I :)

> How should you interpret “necessarily infringed by your contribution(s)”?

Too open ended a question.

> If you are contributing to a part of a functionality, for example changing a header or a parameter) will that
> contribution be interpreted as necessarily infringing any of my patents if I hold a patent or patents on the full
> functionality of that part of the software.

Seems like the first question.

If you were contributing to part of a functionality AND you judged it
infringed on your patents, then the CLA would grant a license. But
that's just you and the CLA'ing entity. I'm not sure who the 'me' and
'you' is in your question above, you make it sound like there are 3
entities involved [committer, patent holder & CLA'ing entity]. Usually
you'd only consider the 2 entities [committer who is also patent
holder & CLA'ing entity].

> What is the difference between contributions and combinations of contributions?

>From the text:

"where such license applies only to those patent claims
   licensable by You that are necessarily infringed by Your
   Contribution(s) alone or by combination of Your Contribution(s)
   with the Work to which such Contribution(s) was submitted"

So this means that if you grant a patent license for your
contributions and for your contributions plus the existing work. ie)
If you add the last tiny commit such that a piece of work is now
considered by someone to fulfill your patent, you license said patent
to the CLA'd entity even if your commit was only the last in a long
line of contributions.

You'll also want to read this FAQ entry if you've not already found it:

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#PatentScope

> I hope that my questions makes sense and are possible to answer.

Mostly I think it's that some of your questions should only be
answered by a patent expert while others can be covered by the general
opinions on this list regarding the ASF CLA.

Hen

Re: Patents and contributions in Contributor License Agreement

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
David,

It's difficult for folks to provide you their personal interpretations
in writing on a public forum without it being perceived as the ASF
giving legal advice.  We need the license itself to serve as the
official description of what it means, and not to cloud that with other
statements that might not say precisely the same thing.

Perhaps you'd be better to discuss this with folks over beer at a
conference?  Then they might be happy to provide unofficial, off the
record, interpretations.

Cheers,

Doug

Posted by David Grünbaum <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Grünbaum <dv...@gmail.com>.
What is the most common interpretation?
Does it matter if your contribution is in one file and the functionality that reads on your patents are divided in the file you contribute and another file?

/David
_______________________________________
David Grünbaum
M.Sc student Intellectual Property Law
School of Intellectual Capital Management
University of Gothenburg, Chalmers University of Technology

Phone: +46 (0)705 841 341
Mail: dv.grunbaum@gmail.com

Make a difference - www.seaweedcenter.com

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
The big three books are Larry Rosen's, Heather Meeker's The Open
Source Alternative and Van Lindberg's Intellectual Property and Open
Source.

I would characterize Larry and Heather's as more for lawyers while Van
Lindberg's is more for developers. In the US I like the Legal track at
OSBC. In Europe the FSFE have a legal network that might be open for
you to join. There's also an international journal published online:

  http://www.ifosslr.org/ifosslr

Hen

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.
On 5/3/2011 1:42 PM, David Grünbaum wrote:
> Since many of these provisions never have been tried in court it is difficult to know how a court would interpret them. Is there any good sources where one could read more about in depth interpretations of different Open Source licenses? I have read Lawrence Rosen's book but he doesn't go into depth on every claus in the agreements.

I doubt they ever will.  Until there is a decision that withstands appeal
(or is reversed on appeal), we are speculating.

Laywers [and IANAL] are famous for making minimal assertions, and leaving
space for interpretation.

There may be public background documents on FSF's patent license philosophy,
and the GPLv3 was very closely aligned to ALv2 language.  They are actually
more liberal with coming to legal conclusions on public forums, plus they
are exceptional philosophers.  I'd suggest you might start there and compare
to the relevant case law.

Re: Patents and contributions in Contributor License Agreement

Posted by David Grünbaum <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Grünbaum <dv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Thank you for the great input!

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi!

small note: the ALv2 in addition also contains a section which covers 'employee patents. See iCLA and CCLA.

LieGrue,
strub