Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Hulet <mi...@mindtheshark.com> on 2006/11/23 14:02:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2.2 cannot start: "undefined symbol: proxy_hook_post_request" error (in file /etc/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so)

Hello all,

I'm upgrading from Apache 2.0.54 to Apache 2.2.3, as I would like to try the proxy_balancer module.

I'm running a Debian Sarge box. I uninstalled Apache 2.0.54 and I compiled and installed Apache 2.2.3 in /etc/apache2:

    # wget http://apache.scarlet.be/httpd/httpd-2.2.3.tar.gz
    # tar -xvzf httpd-2.2.3.tar.gz
    # cd httpd-2.2.3
    # ./configure --prefix=/etc/apache2 --enable-mods-shared=all --enable-deflate --enable-proxy --enable-proxy-balancer --enable-proxy-http
    # make
    # make install|

Then, I added this line to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf:

    LoadModule proxy_balancer_module modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so

I launched te server and here is my problem:

    # apache2ctl -k start
    Syntax error on line 8 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
    *Cannot load /etc/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so into server:
    /etc/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so: undefined symbol:
    proxy_hook_post_request*

My searches on Google gives me no explaination.
Is there someone here who knows what I could do?

Have a nice day,

Michael

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2.2 cannot start: "undefined symbol: proxy_hook_post_request" error (in file /etc/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/23/06, Michael Hulet <mi...@mindtheshark.com> wrote:

> Isn't it "dangerous" to remove base-config and initrd-tools packages?

I have no idea.  Sounds like a question better targeted at a Debian users list.

Joshua.

Posted by Michael Hulet <mi...@mindtheshark.com>.
Joshua Slive a écrit :
> On 11/23/06, Michael Hulet <mi...@mindtheshark.com> wrote:
>
>> > But what really concerns me here is that you said you were downloading
>> > and compiling directly from apache.org, yet you are using apache2ctl,
>> > which I believe is debian-specific.  This could be causing any number
>> > of problems, and could also imply that you have some weird mix of
>> > debian and apache-installed components.
>> >
>> > Joshua.
>> You're right:
>>
>>     # apache2ctl -v
>>     Server version: Apache/2.0.54
>>     Server built:   Jul 28 2006 09:04:55
>>
>> So I wanted to remove apache2-utils but it wants to remove a lot of
>> dependencies that I don't want to remove (phpMyAdmin, Webmin, php, ...).
>> What do you think I should do first?
>
> I'd say you have two choices:
>
> 1. Grab the debian-packaged version of 2.2.  I'm sure it exists
> someplace; or
>
> 2. Install the apache.org package someplace separate from the debian
> install (/usr/local/apache2 for example) and be sure to use the tools
> that get installed under there.)  But I think you're going to find
> that you'll need to recompile php, etc anyway if you go to 2.2.
>
> Joshua.
I added a line in my sources.list file to check for Debian testing
packages. Now I can do this:

    # apt-get install apache2
    (...)
      apache2-mpm-worker apache2.2-common libapr1 libaprutil1 libc6
    libc6-dev libdb4.4 libkrb53 libpq4 libsqlite3-0 libssl0.9.8 locales
      lsb-base tzdata
    Suggested packages:
      glibc-doc manpages-dev krb5-doc krb5-user
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      apache2-common apache2-mpm-prefork *base-config* *initrd-tools*
    libapache2-mod-fastcgi libapache2-mod-php5 php5-mysql
      apache2 apache2-mpm-worker apache2.2-common libapr1 libaprutil1
    libdb4.4 libpq4 libsqlite3-0 libssl0.9.8 lsb-base tzdata
      libc6 libc6-dev libkrb53 locales
    4 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 7 to remove and 321 not upgraded.
    (...)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:05:33 +0100
Michael Hulet <mi...@mindtheshark.com> wrote:

> So I wanted to remove apache2-utils but it wants to remove a lot of
> dependencies that I don't want to remove (phpMyAdmin, Webmin,
> php, ...). What do you think I should do first?

Does Debian's documentation not help with that?

Ask a Debian support forum.  To arm yourself for that, you might like
to read
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/11/04/apache_packages_support_vacuum/

--
Nick Kew