Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net> on 2004/02/17 18:37:46 UTC

xmlbeans maven plugin

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, the Geronimo project has
developed a maven plugin for xmlbeans.  I discussed where it should
live with the maven people, who indicate that they would prefer that
such a plugin be hosted at xmlbeans rather than maven-plugins.

Currently this plugin:
takes a base source directory, list of schema files, list of xmlconfig
files
location of an xml catalog file
output directory

uses the maven dependencies marked with an <xmlbeans>true</xmlbeans>
property to put pre-compiled schemas on the "schema-path"

and outputs the generated code into the output directory.

The xml catalog is used in an entity resolver.  In order to use an
entity resolver I copied and slightly modified the SchemaCompiler class.

The generated sources are added to the maven source file set so they
will be compiled automatically.

AFAIK this is all the functionality we need for Geronimo.  Anyone who
is interested can take a look in Geronimo's cvs under
modules/maven-xmlbeans-plugin

If the xmlbeans project is interested in pursuing hosting this plugin,
I think the next steps are :

1. decide what package the 2 java classes should be in.
2. decide where in the xmlbeans source tree the plugin should go.  I
think it might be clearest if this small subproject was not mixed in
with the normal xmlbeans source.
3. decide if and how to integrate building the plugin with the xmlbeans
ant-based build system.  Although it is currently built with maven, the
build consists of compiling 2 classes and making a jar containing them
and a couple of other files.  This should be easy to do with ant.
4. figure out if, as an incubated project, xmlbeans can put jars on the
ibiblio maven repo.
5. double check with maven about the correct location on ibiblio (I
think it is xmlbeans/plugins for the plugin and xmlbeans/jar for the
xmlbeans jar)
6. use the apache maven repo to feed to the ibiblio maven repo.

Given some opinions on (1-3) I'll be happy to modify the geronimo code
appropriately and submit a patch.

many thanks
david jencks