Posted to users@maven.apache.org by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com> on 2004/02/28 01:40:31 UTC

Installing Maven %HOME%

In this article just under the warning,

http://maven.apache.org/start/install.html

the directions say,

          For Windows:
            %MAVEN_HOME%\bin\install_repo.bat %HOME%\.maven\repository

I understand %MAVEN_HOME% but I do not understand %HOME%.

Exactly what are they referring to and should I set an Environment variable called HOME and if so what should it point to?  Thanks.

--
George Hester

Re: Installing Maven %HOME%

Posted by Kevin Hagel <kh...@mminternet.com>.
open a command window and just type
set
and you'll see the whole pile of environment variables.

I advise against using any directories in maven that contain spaces,
such as "Documents And Settings".  While they're convenient for we
humans, some jelly scripts tokenize on white space and things can get
confused.

I put it in C:\mavenrepository so that I can open an explorer folder and
grab it right off the top, instead of having to descend into
subdirectories to get at them -- as well as being able to share it with
all other users who log into the system.

George Hester wrote:

>Alright I think you are talking about these environment variables:
>
>ALLUSERSPROFILE for All Users or for me as the Adminstrator:
>
>USERPROFILE
>
>%HOME% equals one of the above?
>
>Is that correct?  I would make a repository folder under C:\Documents and Settings\%profile% and then that's that?
>
>This is the weirdest install I have ever done.  All I have is \maven\bin in the path.  Shouldn't I put something from maven in my classpath?

Re: Installing Maven %HOME%

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
news <ne...@sea.gmane.org> wrote on 28/02/2004 12:14:40 PM:

> Alright I think you are talking about these environment variables:
>
> ALLUSERSPROFILE for All Users or for me as the Adminstrator:
>
> USERPROFILE
>
> %HOME% equals one of the above?
>
> Is that correct?  I would make a repository folder under C:
> \Documents and Settings\%profile% and then that's that?

Not necessarily. %HOME% is not necessarily one of the above. Maven will
create your local repo for you automatically.

> This is the weirdest install I have ever done.  All I have is
> \maven\bin in the path.  Shouldn't I put something from maven in my
classpath?
Nope.

Maven doesn't use your CLASSPATH. Which installer did you use?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Re: Installing Maven %HOME%

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.