Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/01 20:33:41 UTC

[VOTE] Release Maven Toolchains version 1.0

Hi,

Please vote on the maven-toolchain 1.0 artifact.
The background for the release:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200802.mbox/%3cf84708e90802251155t5a6da4d6peda5ffa7a5216b45@mail.gmail.com%3e
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains

Unfortately I've messed up and released the bits already. As
instructed by Wendy Smoak I've added gpg signatures. Please
double-check that everything is ok.

Repo:
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org/apache/maven/maven-toolchain/1.0/

Vote open for 72 hours.

[] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Milos

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Toolchains version 1.0

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
2008/3/5, Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>:
> Only 2 votes +1 (me and brett). So I suppose the vote failed.
>  What to do now?

Bribe some PMC with beer to have their votes ;-)

Raphaël

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
+1

not tested, just to release it :)

-Lukas

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Saturday 01 March 2008, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On 1-Mar-08, at 3:22 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
> > Actually, now I'm confused... looking at commits it's being re-
> > integrated into the trunk and branches (Which seems like a good
> > thing to me).
> >
> > Is this release needed any more Milos? Should we just pull it out?
>
> We should practice what we preach, in that no one else can retract
> mistakes and it should stay and Milos release it again. I just told
> someone on the repo-maintainers list they couldn't change or pull
> mistakes.

I personally think we need to allow mistakes to be pulled.   However,
they cannot re-release the same version.  Basically, deletes, not
updates.   Not sure how to enforce that though.

For example, if a jar or something gets a nasty virus/trojan in it.   We
would need to get it out of there.

Dan

> > - Brett
> >
> > On 02/03/2008, at 10:17 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
> >> It's a bit tricky. I suggest we vote on what got synced out. If for
> >> any reason the release must be pulled it can be and the next one
> >> will need to be version 1.0.1 or something.
> >>
> >> I'l take a look today/tomorrow.
> >>
> >> - Brett

> >> --
> >> Brett Porter
> >> brett@apache.org
> >> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

> > --
> > Brett Porter
> > brett@apache.org
> > http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com
>
> People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
> Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
> actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
> is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
> looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
> examples
> you look at, the more general your framework will be.
>
> -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Toolchains version 1.0

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Actually, now I'm confused... looking at commits it's being re-
>  integrated into the trunk and branches (Which seems like a good thing
>  to me).
>
>  Is this release needed any more Milos? Should we just pull it out?

Yes, this release is necessary. It will allow plugins like
maven-compiler-plugin or maven-surefire-plugin to be
"toolchain-enabled" while still having 2.0.6 as maven prerequisite.
Without it needs to be bumped to 2.0.9-SNAPSHOT which would be rather
unfortunate.

Milos

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1-Mar-08, at 4:10 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 02/03/2008, at 11:07 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
>

>>> We should practice what we preach, in that no one else can retract
>>> mistakes and it should stay and Milos release it again. I just
>>> told someone on the repo-maintainers list they couldn't change or
>>> pull mistakes.
>>
>> Change, no - but surely we have to be able to remove things (and
>> never put them back again).
>
> And before we get too far down debating the central repository, we
> absolutely can and must remove it from the Apache repository it
> originated from (if the release ends up not being voted on).

Policy here is different different then for central, but it probably
shouldn't be as it should be a best practice for all repositories
whatever is done.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1-Mar-08, at 4:07 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 02/03/2008, at 11:00 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>> On 1-Mar-08, at 3:22 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, now I'm confused... looking at commits it's being re-
>>> integrated into the trunk and branches (Which seems like a good
>>> thing to me).
>>>
>>> Is this release needed any more Milos? Should we just pull it out?
>>>

>> We should practice what we preach, in that no one else can retract
>> mistakes and it should stay and Milos release it again. I just told
>> someone on the repo-maintainers list they couldn't change or pull
>> mistakes.
>
> Change, no - but surely we have to be able to remove things (and
> never put them back again).

If there was a process sure. We know in this case no one has depended
on it (pretty certain), but if something is deployed and has sat there
for more then 24 hours who knows who's used it.

If we had a tool to retract it, updating all the necessary metadata
and recording the removal then that would be cool.

> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people
can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

-- Paul Graham

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Toolchains version 1.0

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.