Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/08 22:28:16 UTC

Do we issue a general warning about this issue ?

I have something like 5 accepted answers on StackOverflow regarding this
issue now - all popping up with the wildest (and totally different) set
of symptoms but always the same solution. It seems like it's time to
issue a warning about this on users/mojo, since it affects all 64bit jvm
users and probably also 32 bit users with large numbers of modules.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4936367/i-am-experiencing-random-maven-build-failures-when-building-on-windows-7-is-this/4938162#4938162

I don't know if there really is any tradition for issuing warnings, but
the broader transition from 32->64 bit JVM's mean that a lot of people
will be getting intermittent problems building older projects that "used
to build fine" and it basically requires the projects in question to
upgrade their plugins. And it somehow makes maven look bad IMO.

WDYT ?

Kristian

Re: Do we issue a general warning about this issue ?

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
In my experience these problems are more often caused by bad test
infrastructure or handle leaks in production or test code. I had to
spend a lot of time for example rewriting how the maven-indexer tests
worked because it randomly failed for me on Win7. After isolating the
files into temp folder, this stopped happening.