Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> on 2002/05/01 18:02:07 UTC

Re: You make the decision (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> writes:

> I think both projects have nice advantages and features.  Maven has good
> documentation.  Centipede is easier to setup and is a bit more advanced
> in the way it generates documentation.  Its a bit alpha but I think the
> code generation stuff in centipede shows some promise.
[snip]

What type of code does your build framework generate?

Re: You make the decision (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Daniel Rall wrote:

>"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> writes:
>
>>I think both projects have nice advantages and features.  Maven has good
>>documentation.  Centipede is easier to setup and is a bit more advanced
>>in the way it generates documentation.  Its a bit alpha but I think the
>>code generation stuff in centipede shows some promise.
>>
>[snip]
>
>What type of code does your build framework generate?

Java code.  This isn't yet in the main trunk of centipede.  It needs to
be further genericised.  Granted I wouldn't generate ALL java code from
XML but in these particular cases it makes sense.  We even generate a
junit test.. .  Like I said, beats the heck out of typing.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-poi/src/types/definitions/
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-poi/src/types/styles/

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-poi/src/records/definitions/
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-poi/src/records/styles/

The generation stuff is a bit immature but it beats the hell out of
typing any day.  For more information on this whole subject:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppbook/index.shtml

(The why, what and etc of code generation) and perhaps the accompanying
wiki:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/cgi-local/pragprog?RaleighPractitioners

-Andy