Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Guy Doulberg <gu...@conduit.com> on 2012/07/10 17:21:23 UTC

"Dry" topics

Hi guys,

How do you monitor a topic, and alert if it has no messages for some time?

I would like to monitor a topic , and  report   to Nagios so I could get
an alert when something is wrong.

What do you think?

Re: "Dry" topics

Posted by Guy Doulberg <gu...@conduit.com>.
Hi guys,
I built a tool in my kafka tools repository that gets a topic a zookeepr
and file, and checks for each topic/partition if the topic is "DRY".

It basically writes to the file the current offsets in each broker, if
the combination of the (topic,broker,partition) existed in the file
prior to the run, it will compare the current offset of the
(topic,broker,partition) with the in the file (previous), if it didn't
got larger it will return the status stuck for this
(topic,broker,partition), otherwise (1. there was no file 2. the
(topic,broker,partition) was not reported 3. the value of the previous
(topic,broker,partition) is lesser than the current) it returns the
status OK

This output can be processed by a monitoring tool such as Nagios,

Thanks

Re: "Dry" topics

Posted by Guy Doulberg <gu...@conduit.com>.
I will do so,