Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/05/19 11:26:52 UTC

[FILEUPLOAD] State of the code base

Hi,

since several people have asked for a new release, I've looked at the state
of the code base. Here are my observation:

- b1_3 is currently at version 1.3.3-SNAPSHOT and introduces two new
methods.
- trunk is currently at version 1.4-SNAPSHOT. It introduces the two new
methods and it introduces breaking changes by removing java.io.Serializable
from three classes. Several serialization related tests are currently
failing.

So strictly speaking from a SemVer point of view:
- b1_3 is really 1.4
- trunk is really 2.0

I don't know how to progress and I don't want to create an RC which gets
rejected because of compatibility issues.

Benedikt

Re: [FILEUPLOAD] State of the code base

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 May 2016 at 14:00, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sebb <se...@gmail.com> schrieb am Do., 19. Mai 2016 um 13:49 Uhr:
>
>> On 19 May 2016 at 12:29, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> schrieb am Do., 19. Mai 2016 um
>> > 13:26 Uhr:

>> java.io.Serializable
>> >>

>> > Since the build works on jenkins [1] I assume that this is related to my
>> > environment.
>>
>> It fails on mine too.
>>
>> The Jenkins build was quite old; turns out it was not being triggered
>> on SVN updates.
>>

> Okay, then we have to fix trunk first.
>
> What do you think about my observation regarding versioning the next
> releases?

Seems reasonable to me.

However I'm not sure why we are bothering with 1.3.3/1.4 if it is
compatible with 1.4/2.0

If it's *not* compatible, then the Maven coords and package names
should be changed in 2.0

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.