Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2008/10/01 16:19:43 UTC

Re: New free blacklist: BRBL - Barracuda Reputation Block List

On 30.09.08 15:12, Rasmus Haslund wrote:
> > I'd like answers to many of the same questions, although I've
> > already implemented the list.  So far, I've only had one
> > complaint though it wasn't much of a false positive.  I'd
> > started receiving junk from a legitimate server that normally
> > sent ham.  The server was blocked long enough for me to get
> > one call.  Several hours later, it was removed and was no
> > longer spewing spam.
>
> For us, the only FP we have seen are some servers in Argentina, Brazil
> and 2 legit fish newsletters from Russia.
> Otherwise it is looking very good here.

maybe if you received more mail from argentina, brazil or russia, you'd see
more FPs. The problem is, while spam spews everywhere, some servers
communicate mostly inside some regions (countries). So, while you may
encounter 0% of FP's from servers inside SK, other SK servers may high rate
of FP's from the same servers

Honk if you love peace and quiet.

RE: New free blacklist: BRBL - Barracuda Reputation Block List

Posted by Rasmus Haslund <ra...@nowaco.com>.
>> For us, the only FP we have seen are some servers in Argentina,
Brazil
>> and 2 legit fish newsletters from Russia.
>> Otherwise it is looking very good here.

>maybe if you received more mail from argentina, brazil or russia, you'd
see more FPs. The problem is, while spam >spews everywhere, some servers
communicate mostly inside some regions (countries). So, while you may
encounter >0% of FP's from servers inside SK, other SK servers may high
rate of FP's from the same servers

You are right, however since we actually do business world wide as a
food trading company I do believe we are in a special situation compared
to alot of other people.

Someone else on the list complained about Orange.fr mailservers and how
they just wanted to cut them off because no legitimate emails from
there, while someone else in France had ALL his customers on Orange.fr -
we are also plauged by tons of spam from Orange.fr but we cannot afford
to loose these very legitimate emails which are originating from there.

Obviously the list will work for some and for others not - in the end we
are using it but not with .com.ar/.com.br/.ru PTR records - just
disabled the lookup and let other RBL's handle scoring of those hosts.

Best regards,
NOWACO A/S
Rasmus Haslund