Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eli Gibson <el...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/04 11:28:27 UTC

svn:ignore on file already in version control?

I have a configuration file that holds local settings, which may be
different for every working copy (mostly absolute paths that vary from
machine to machine). I would like to have a template stored in the
repository. When the repository is checked out, the user will get the
template, and make modifications that are machine specific. However, I
do not want these changes to be commited back over top of the template
accidentally.
I was hoping that adding a matching svn:ignore pattern to the
directory containing the configuration file would prevent the changes
from being committed, but that didn't seem to work. Should this have
worked (i.e. did I just do it incorrectly), or if not, is there a
better solution for the problem?

Eli Gibson
Simon Fraser University

Re: svn:ignore on file already in version control?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 06:28, Eli Gibson <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a configuration file that holds local settings, which may be
> different for every working copy (mostly absolute paths that vary from
> machine to machine). I would like to have a template stored in the
> repository. When the repository is checked out, the user will get the
> template, and make modifications that are machine specific. However, I
> do not want these changes to be commited back over top of the template
> accidentally.
> I was hoping that adding a matching svn:ignore pattern to the
> directory containing the configuration file would prevent the changes
> from being committed, but that didn't seem to work. Should this have
> worked (i.e. did I just do it incorrectly), or if not, is there a
> better solution for the problem?

You can't svn:ignore something that's presently versioned because
you've already told Subversion you want to version it.

What you have described here is an almost verbatim copy of an entry in
the FAQ. http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ignore-commit

Re: svn:ignore on file already in version control?

Posted by Felix Gilcher <fe...@bitextender.com>.
Hi,

it's not possible to have an ignore on files that are under version
control. The standard way of doing this is naming the template file
something like settings.tpl or settings.dist and have the user copy it
to the real name. Then add a svn:ignore pattern on that filename.

cheers

felix

--
Felix Gilcher

Bitextender GmbH
Paul-Heyse-Str. 6
D-80336 München

T: +49 89 57 08 15 16
F: +49 89 57 08 15 17
M: +49 172 840 88 28

felix.gilcher@bitextender.com
http://bitextender.com/

Amtsgericht München, HRB 174280
Geschäftsführer: David Zülke, Florian Clever